• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My new logo for my breeding business (well for next year..lol)

Maize411

Hooked for life!!
Yep..I'll be entering the breeding world next year so I decided to create a little logo for myself for my upcoming business..In the future my friend Harry will be joining me and it will be a joined effort...He will be working with ball pythons and their breeding, and I'll be dealing with corns and pretty much whatever other snake I get from now to next year...lol...and the years to follow..As happy as I am with this logo..I feel it probably could be much better...so...I am asking anyone who has some business logo making experience to send me any ideas or creations you can come up with for a logo...This is the best I could do..(well maybe not the best I could do..but for now it's all I could think up..lol) Either way..Hope everyone likes it :0)

UPscaleReptiles.jpg
[/IMG]

I think it basically looks nice. But the word REPTILES is a little difficult to read. Maybe if the yellow glow went around each letter and outlined each one better, it would be easier to read.

And it would be cool if you could use some kind of plant or graphic that would somehow link, or surround, or have some interaction between, or with the two snakes, instead of the background plant that is there now. I am not an artist, so can't really suggest exactly what I mean. But I would know it when I see it, lol! There seem to be a number of artists here - maybe they will have some input.

Hmm...I can definitely try to fix the "Reptiles" letters...My mom said the same thing that it's a bit tricky to read..but I'm kinda confused what you mean about the plant going around or intersecting with the 2 snakes..lol...I'm hard and picturing things in my head..I kind of just go on photoshop and make whatever comes to mind..lol...It never really stays in my head too long..lol..But thank you for your input..I'll definitely take those corrections into consideration :0)

Looks nice Maize, maybe if you used the same color and design for reptiles as you did for upscale, it would be easier to read.
Also BTW, if you plan on breeding corns as a business in New Jersey, definately give N.J. FISH AND WILDLIFE a call they are very picky about breeding/selling corns in the state. The only corns legal to posess in N.J. are Amel, Lavender, Butter, Blizzard, Snow, Cremsicle, and Pearl (Opal). then again I heard anything with red (ruby) eyes is ok. And of course there are the required permits. Here is a link that may help you, http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/xotic_petshop_app.pdf
They will fine you, they are no fun to mess around with!
Glad I relocated to PA. years ago!

Thank you manofcornsnakes but I'm pretty sure by next breeding season I will be in FL..so I'm not too worried with the laws of NJ as I don't plan on breaking any of them :0) But thank you for looking out for me :0)

AHHH YES, FLORIDA!! a corn lovers paradise, you lucky man! You'll be in good company with Kathy down there. I will look forward to doing business with you :cheers: Good luck!

I like the design. Good advice with clearing up the reptiles. Not to change the subject but how did you create the logo. Is there any programs you can use besides photoshop?

I just used photoshop..there are other programs..like Illustrator and Indesign...but I'm not all that familiar with them as I am with Photoshop...so I stood with what I knew...lol..I'll be posting an update on the logo with the "Reptiles" hopefully being a little more legible :0)

InDesign is a page layout software and not used to create graphics. Illustrator (this being the top dog because of it being vector based design software), Photoshop and FireWorks are used to create graphics. As far as free, a product called GIMP I've heard mentioned before though have never personally used.

If you want to get technical, your logo should not have pictures (illustrations, but not pictures). A logo itself is a graphic element (symbol, emblem, illustration or icon) used to identify a individual, company or organization (usually four or less colors). To reference great logo design, I suggest you check out LogoPond...The site has a huge variety of different styles from different designers. :)

You also might want to reconsider the name...Upscale Reptiles already exists. ;)

Maybe what I was thinking of is a vine type of plant, like pothos, or something similar. The vine could wind around the snakes, tying the elements of the whole piece together, yet also defining each space. Also, maybe replacing the plant that is there now would eliminate the dark shadows on the corn. Hope that is understandable - not being an artist, it is difficult to explain exactly what I mean (probably because I don't know exactly what I mean, but have seen similar use of plants before).

Although there are multiple people using the same name in different states (for example "Scales and Tails" seems to be a common pet shop name), you might still want to differentiate your name somehow. Maybe you can add part of your own name or geographical name to it. Most small business names are not Trademarked, although some are. But it is still a good idea to make sure yours stands out as being different from another similar (or same) name.

Be creative - down here, a lot of organizations use the name Calusa, from the Indian tribe that used to inhabit this area. Or they use Gulf Coast. If you have any local feature that has a cool sound, like a bay, swamp, or something similar, it could add a distinctive sound. Of course, if you plan to move, you don't want to tie yourself to something transitory. You could wait to find out where you will be living, and finish it then. But those ideas might get you thinking of something that has a nice sound to it, anyway.

I have been wanting to get into breeding for 2-3 years, and I still don't have a logo! Your thinking AHEAD!! im thinking BEHIND!! better get on it.. Nice logo though!

Although there are multiple people using the same name in different states (for example "Scales and Tails" seems to be a common pet shop name), you might still want to differentiate your name somehow. Maybe you can add part of your own name or geographical name to it. Most small business names are not Trademarked, although some are. But it is still a good idea to make sure yours stands out as being different from another similar (or same) name.

Be creative - down here, a lot of organizations use the name Calusa, from the Indian tribe that used to inhabit this area. Or they use Gulf Coast. If you have any local feature that has a cool sound, like a bay, swamp, or something similar, it could add a distinctive sound. Of course, if you plan to move, you don't want to tie yourself to something transitory. You could wait to find out where you will be living, and finish it then. But those ideas might get you thinking of something that has a nice sound to it, anyway.

I think my name "slithering snakes" is a little generic. But with my business partner who i'm not sure is in to snakes chose the name slithering snakes. And since I have a website, it would be pretty hard to change the name. Well, im stuck with it. so Des, pick a name that you like and will ALWAYS like. I want to change my name to something a little more.. how should i put this, catchy. like Striking Serpents. Buuuuut stuck with slithering snakes. So take my earlyer advice. Once you pick a name and start distributing it, your stuck with it for life.

No - you are not stuck with it for life!

Back in the early '70s, I started up a little pet shop and I named it Junglehut. After a few years, I moved on and started a traveling reptile exhibit named The Living Jungle. I did that with a partner for a few years, and then got married, and spent one summer running an exhibit in the Smoky Mountains - we called it Creature Feature. We lost money on that one, lol! So we moved back to Florida, and finally started breeding reptiles in 1985. We first called it Farmus Diversified, and then later, Glades Herpetoculture. When we took on a partner and started a "regular" reptile shop, we shortened it to Glades Herp. Then, when we split away from it, we started Cornutopia / Blue Chameleon Ventures. Those last two names only came into existence since 1996, but my first named business was around 25 years prior. And the only name most people might remember, other than our present names, is Glades Herp, and that, only because they are still in business.

It is fairly important to stick with a name once the business has been around long enough, and has done enough business, to build up a business relationship with a lot of people and to build up lots of business "goodwill". If the name is relatively new and relatively unknown, then it is very easy to change a website, and especially easy if you have not already gone through all of the steps to register your business with the local and state authorities, it is not that big of a deal to change it. Even after you are established, you can introduce a new name, and slowly work into it. When my accountant told me to incorporate, I just went with Kathy Love, Inc., but kept the DBA Blue Chameleon Ventures (hubby's photo and Mad tour business) / Cornutopia. Most people are not even aware that there is any other name. Much better to change it now, when it is fairly new, than after it is well established.

Also, if you are under around 20 - 25 or so, you will likely find that your taste in names, or possibly your business goals, may change in time, forcing you to also change your business name as well.

welp...back to the drawing board...lol...I'm definitely keeping "UPscale Reptiles"...I'm just going to try and make my logo...more of a logo...and not so much of a piece of art..though I liked the first design..I'm understanding that I have to be a little more simple in my ideas...which I think I can do...So I will be posting up some more ideas I have later today for evaluation :0) And thank you everyone for your time and opinions...Even though I have an Associates in Graphic Design...I cleary over throw my ideas sometimes and go a little too extreme with my talents...lol

Okay so I went back to the drawing board and have created an official logo and a website image logo to go on my webpage..(when I make one..which isn't for another year...lol)..

I basiclly dropped the last logo...Maybe I'll use it for flyer purposes or somewhere on the site..but it was a little to advanced for a logo...this is much more simple..and was MUCH easier to make...lol...Let me know what you guys thinks :0)

First the logo:

UPscaleReptileslogocopy.jpg

Now the website image/logo:

UpscaleReptilesWebsiteImage.jpg

I really like the way these 2 came out :0)

I really like the top one, but the second one is awesome too. I just like the first for it's simplicity, I feel the simpler it is, the more effective and easy to recognize it will be. The bottom one would make a nice banner or something though, I like!!!

Back