• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Back from my field course! (lots of photos)

Calift

0.1 addict
Hey guys!

I just got back to Canada from a biology field course on desert ecology. We camped the entire time (nearly a full month), and usually in the most “rustic” spots possible. We started off in southern Ontario and drove straight through Nebraska (all-nighter drive), and camped in Colorado for a night. Then we continued on towards the south western US and stopped in UT, AZ, CA, NV and even in Mexico (luckily didn’t stamp my passport!). We never stayed at a campsite for longer than a couple nights, so I got to see a huge variety of places and different environments.

Anyway I have 3 GB of pictures….but don’t worry I’ll only share some of them. I did see a few different snakes, but my profs weren’t big herpers :)() and the focus was mainly on plants of the Sonoran, Mojave, etc deserts. I’ll try to post these in order

Driving in the beginning- snow in the rockies!
CIMG4815.jpg

CO
CIMG4843.jpg

Beautiful bobcat that was shot and just left dead on a path….
CIMG4858.jpg

We camped right next to this gorgeous ledge…goosenecks, UT

CIMG4931.jpg

AZ…lots of different sites + hikes

CIMG5050.jpg

So it takes too long to write captions…I don’t know if these are in order, but they are in one of the above states ;)

CIMG5065.jpg

CIMG5091.jpg

CIMG5133.jpg

(lots more to come)

CIMG5173.jpg

Weirdest tree…. Fouquieria columnaris
CIMG5000.jpg

CIMG4868.jpg

On my pack, next to my head (we slept out in cots) one morning
CIMG5369.jpg

Alamo canyon sunset
CIMG5444-1.jpg

CIMG5476-1.jpg

CIMG5604-1.jpg

Cholla forest….
CIMG5571.jpg

A @(#* truck ran over this guy right before the photo (luckily no harm done)

CIMG5635.jpg

Some beautiful photos - the scenery is fantastic!
Nice job catching some of the local species as well, although that pic of the bobcat is really sad. Being a big cat lover - that one hit me especially hard.

Thanks guys...it's been weird acclimating myself back in society...showers and hot coffee have been pure luxury!

Seeing that bobcat was a bit disheartening. He was in perfect condition, except for the tiny bullet wound in the back leg. I have another picture of the cat, as well as a small collection of bones discovered nearby.

CIMG4859.jpg

CIMG4863.jpg

These were both taken in Rifle, CO.

Whoa, GORGEOUS pics. I'd love to get the chance to travel like that, it seems like it'd be so much fun. Welcome back to society :p

Back