• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What shoud I do?

Artiista

Okay so there is this girl who was a friend of mine...let’s just call her as ‘Shaniqua’, instead of her real name.

‘Shaniqua’ had been struggling with anorexia depression for who knows how long. She was/is(?) what some people refer to as a ‘cutter’.

About a couple months before the last school year ended, I was in day treatment for having panic attacks. Soon after I got in day treatment, I talked to ‘Shaniqua’ on facebook. I wish I would’ve been smart enough to copy the conversation, but I was too upset to think clearly.
In the chat:
I asked ‘Shaniqua’ “How are you?”
She said something about feeling dead.

Can’t remember exactly what we talked about here, besides that it had something to do with her depression and anorexia. I thought she needed help but she claimed she didn’t.

I told ‘Shaniqua’ Anorexia could kill her. I asked her if she wanted to die.
She said something like, “I don’t know”, or “I’m not sure”.

I told her I was too stressed out over that conversation and said bye. I shut the facebook window.

I tried to get her help by telling my dad to email the EBD special ed teacher that me and ‘Shaniqua’ both have about the chat. What she said was MUCH clearer in my mind then.

Problem is that I consulted the ‘group’ at treatment before I told my dad to email the teacher. Everybody was from a different city than mine, so I assumed no one knew her. Even if they did there was confidentiality.

Someone knew her and broke confidentiality.

‘Shaniqua’ was not happy with me to say the least. She told me on facebook that she thought I was her friend and asked why I would do something like that. I told her I was genuinely worried and thought some help would be good for her. She then told me that I was the one that needed help. I tried to explain to her a couple times that what I did was out of how much I cared about her and she did need help. This just pissed her off more, so I gave up on it. I also deleted her as a friend on facebook, because I didn’t want to be reminded of our lost friendship.

Apparently she went around telling a lot of people, who were friends that I mostly only hang out with at the school dances, that I ruined her life. I haven’t really had contact with any of them besides the 2 I’m closest with: My best friend and her other best friend who is a friend of mine also. My best friend heard knew I didn’t ruin ‘Shaniqua’s’ life. As for my other friend, I had to explain on the phone my side of the story. She believed me after I told it to her.

Now I don’t know what to do, with Sept. 9th being the first day of school. I can't sleep because I'm so worried about this.

The 1st Part of me wants to flat out confront ‘Shaniqua’, but do it respectfully unless she makes thing REALLY ugly (ex: she physically attacks me).
A second part of me wants the teacher who received the email mediate me respectfully confronting ‘Shaniqua’
A Third part of me wants to just ignore her, but I have got a feeling that she will continue to try and turn people against me. If that happens, I might have a panic attack for the first time in months.

How would you recommend I handle this situation? I’m open to other options…

Ignore her. She's clearly fairly unstable to begin with, and if you act calm and rational, people will begin to realise this other girl is acting very spitefully. SHE is the one who was, and is, ruining her life. Leave her to it. Remember that highschool is short and what happens there socially has very little influence on what happens socially at college, where there are just too many people to care.

So yeah, ignore her tantrums while being scrupulously polite. If she ever confronts you, simply say "I'm sorry you feel that way. What I did was out of concern for your well being. I wish you a good school year" and then get up and leave.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice; it'll help me sleep.

The reason I posted this here is because most of the other forums I use I've recommended them to her at one point or another. I don't think she'd ever seek out a forum like this because she has a fear of snakes.

You did the right thing.
I wouldn't be too hasty with the negative thinking about her though... she is probably going through some serious difficulties.
Do no expose yourself to this, it is her "battle" to fight- you tried to help, she is not in a state in which she accepts it, she scorns it.
If in the future she will contact you and ask for your help... and if it does not weight you down, and only if you feel you can, than reach out and help.
If not... it's her life to cope with. You have enough on your own plate, just like the rest of us.
I would probably have done the same if I were you.
Sleep well

Back