• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone scuba dive??

Gralena

Corn Snake Diva
Just thought I would see if anyone here on cs.com is into scuba diving? I moved to Florida last year and decided to become certified. I just finished my classroom and pool session with a PADI instructor and can't wait for my bridge dive this week. (then its off to 2 open water dives next week and I'm certified). I think I am really going to love it. I live on the Treasure coast, a lot of good diving over here. (this area is where Mel Fisher has found the majority of his wreck treasures) If anyone has pictures or videos they would like to share, I would love it!!

My whole family scuba dives your going to never want to come back up I promise. Since your in Florida I recommend Bahia Honda State Park it has many great dive spots and chartering the boat isn't too expensive. Good luck on your certification:)

I have been certified since 2001, and love it! I have gone diving in Australia, Hawaii, Belize, but no where in the lower 48 LOL! I did get my certification south of Chicago, in the fall, in a rock quarry LOL! The water was freezing!

I have been in Florida for a whole year and have yet to go diving. I need some dive buddies to go with!

Scuba diving is one of my favorite hobbies/sports/etc. I dont go that often though because its expensive. I have most of my gear except for a BC and tank.

We should plan a FL dive trip!

My whole family scuba dives your going to never want to come back up I promise. Since your in Florida I recommend Bahia Honda State Park it has many great dive spots and chartering the boat isn't too expensive. Good luck on your certification:)

Great, thanks for the info...I'll have to check that park out. We actually have a boat and my husband already dives so sometimes we will be able to do it ourselves. Although, I like meeting new people...so doing the diver trip thing is a fun idea too.

I have been certified since 2001, and love it! I have gone diving in Australia, Hawaii, Belize, but no where in the lower 48 LOL! I did get my certification south of Chicago, in the fall, in a rock quarry LOL! The water was freezing!

I have been in Florida for a whole year and have yet to go diving. I need some dive buddies to go with!

Scuba diving is one of my favorite hobbies/sports/etc. I dont go that often though because its expensive. I have most of my gear except for a BC and tank.

We should plan a FL dive trip!

Wow! You have been to some great diving places! I have always wanted to go to Belize...and Australia, I'm sure the great barrier reef is spectacular!

I also forgot to mention that my first dive was in Cozumel, Mexico. That is what made me want to get certified. Not as much fun as Australia, but I am now spoiled after going diving on the reef!

You should get certified, Danielle! It is like no other experience...

I used to dive. I was an instructor. I got certified in Cozumel. I moved to Florida to be able to participate more fully on a cave diving exploration team, WKPP. I became suspicious that I had a PFO, a hole in my heart that would allow bubbles to cross over without being filtered out by my lungs, and I was right. I arranged to go up to NY for robot surgery to fix it. In the course of the final imaging, it was discovered that I also had three large AVMs in my lung. So even if my heart was repaired, my lung would still allow bubbles through these large vessels that change from artery to vein without capillaries. No doctor would even discuss a repair of that with me, although I know it can be done. They suggested I get another "hobby." My investment in diving is about $30k of equipment which is now just sitting there. I went cave diving one more time since my diagnosis, because I figure I'm pretty safe at depths up to about 110 feet, but my heart just wasn't in it any more. Exploration cave diving was my life, and to not be able to do the dives I'd been doing was like a death sentence. So...I'm lucky I have snake friends down here now. All my first friends in Florida were diving friends and it was just too painful to hear about it. Mostly I have drifted away from them.

I used to dive. I was an instructor. I got certified in Cozumel. I moved to Florida to be able to participate more fully on a cave diving exploration team, WKPP. I became suspicious that I had a PFO, a hole in my heart that would allow bubbles to cross over without being filtered out by my lungs, and I was right. I arranged to go up to NY for robot surgery to fix it. In the course of the final imaging, it was discovered that I also had three large AVMs in my lung. So even if my heart was repaired, my lung would still allow bubbles through these large vessels that change from artery to vein without capillaries. No doctor would even discuss a repair of that with me, although I know it can be done. They suggested I get another "hobby." My investment in diving is about $30k of equipment which is now just sitting there. I went cave diving one more time since my diagnosis, because I figure I'm pretty safe at depths up to about 110 feet, but my heart just wasn't in it any more. Exploration cave diving was my life, and to not be able to do the dives I'd been doing was like a death sentence. So...I'm lucky I have snake friends down here now. All my first friends in Florida were diving friends and it was just too painful to hear about it. Mostly I have drifted away from them.

Wow, Nanci...I'm so sorry to hear that. How long ago did that happen?

That would be like me losing my eyesight when my life is birdwatching. It would be hard to find another "hobby".

I have always wanted to go cave diving. I am hoping to be more active if I ever move closer to the coast.

There are a ton of springs you can dive in Angela, all over the state. Just don't go in the caverns! Probably, the best thing to do instead of wasting money on a PADI cavern diving class is to take an Intro to Cave Diving class some day. Save your money!

Actually cavern/cave diving sounds pretty scary! I applaud your kahunas! :) Nanci, where did you find the best places to purchase diving supplies? Did you typically purchase online or in scuba stores in person? I'm looking to buy a nice dive computer for my hubby. (well, also have to start buying the rest of my gear)

I should take a class on cavern diving. I know there are a TON of springs up by me, Wakulla Springs is literally in my backyard. The only thing, about my diving is I need a buddy! Pam does not dive, nor do I think she has any desire to. She is more into snorkeling.

I went diving - once - in Aruba. It was amazing. After that trip I wanted to get certified but just never had either the time or the money or both at the same time....maybe someday.

I'm certified, but very rarely get to go. The water off Oregon/Washington is so cold because of upwelling off the coast, that you really need a dry suit to do it for long and it is just so expensive. Right now I only get to dive when we go on vacation someplace warm . . . which isn't very often, either!

A beginning teacher's salary doesn't support expensive hobbies very well ~LOL~

Nanci - sorry to hear you can't dive anymore, but at least you found a new passion with your snakeys!

Back