• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What if...

S373 passes and you have to move states... what do you do?

• You lost me at trying to rehome... that wouldn't even occur to me. I'd smuggle them.

Votes: 25 67.6%
  • If I'd tried to find a person in state and could not, I'd smuggle them.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Euthanize them. It's the only right thing to do.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give them to someone unqualified to look after them.

• Release them to fend for themselves. Better than death.

• Other.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

Hypancistrus

So just hypothetically speaking, let's say S373 passes, and overnight all of our boas and large pythons become illegal to move across a state line.

Let's say you lose your job or are forced, via circumstances beyond your control, to take a job in another state, and you cannot find a responsible person in state willing to take on your boas or larger constrictors, and all the local rescues are full.

What would you do?

Lauren if I had big snakes etc etc etc. First I would contact the state dept. and if they said no i would go ahead and move anyway. Anything for the animals

So just hypothetically speaking, let's say S373 passes, and overnight all of our boas and large pythons become illegal to move across a state line.

Let's say you lose your job or are forced, via circumstances beyond your control, to take a job in another state, and you cannot find a responsible person in state willing to take on your boas or larger constrictors, and all the local rescues are full.
What would you do?

see bold

ten charaters

Ohhh ha...sorry about that! I read far to many posts on cs.com, and have reverted to skimming ....:p

Quite frankly, I wouldn't even look for someone to rehome them to. They'd be coming with me no matter what. I purchased them legally, and they are going with me wherever I go, whether it's legal or not.

I honestly might consider smuggling them, depending on where I was going. It's not as though we have strict inspections while passing through other states... I might just bundle them into pillow cases and take them.

If not, then I'm afraid it would have to be euthanasia. :( I could never release them into the wild or give them to someone unqualified... Doing either of those only contributes to fuel to the ifre that brought this bill into being.

I just wanted to add that this pole is a great idea, Lauren.

It shows how responsible keepers will be turned into criminals by this bill, and that innocent creatures may die.

I picked the first option. My pets are my friends, and my responsibility. Although I do not yet own a snake that would qualify under S373, if I did they would be coming with me. They're part of my family. It's not like we'd have to go through customs or anything- who would know?

This is a great idea. The results of this poll should be sent to our senators to show how impossible this law would be to enforce. Basically, all it will do is turn people into criminals by forcing them to smuggle or release their snakes, and forcing part of the reptile trade underground where it can't be regulated. This will lead to more homeless snakes, not fewer.

I just wanted to add that this pole is a great idea, Lauren.

It shows how responsible keepers will be turned into criminals by this bill, and that innocent creatures may die.

That is exactly why I brought it up. Someone on another forum mentioned that Animal Cops once did a "bust" of a persons home where illegal species were being kept, reptiles. She said it upset her because they made it out to be this God awful crime, the equivalent of neglecting or beating your animals, when all she saw was a collection that looked a lot like hers-- well cared for and neat, with healthy animals.

It angers me to consider that I might be forced to committ a felony (same level of charge as murder, for Christ's sake) for the sake of keeping my beloved pets.

I am a responsible keeper-- it should not come down to this.

Exactly :) How can you possibly enforce this law? I honestly don't have much a of a problem with the ban on imports into the country, as I'm generally opposed to collecting snakes from the wild anyway. Most species already have captive lines started right here in the US, so why harm wild populations? But banning interstate trade? It's not only stupid, it's unenforceable. The police have enough to do as it is, fer cryin' out loud.

It will only stop the breeders...the big time money people with huge collections who make a living selling boa and other boid morphs. So here is the real question. Where are those big breeders? Why have we not seen a backlash from BHB, VPI and others? Am I missing it?

One thing I did notice is that you can still ship Dumerils over state lines, and any type of boa that's not a Boa constrictor. So at least there's still that... for now.

It will only stop the breeders...the big time money people with huge collections who make a living selling boa and other boid morphs.

This is just it. It's just going to hurt the economy by restricting these people's business, and make it harder for people to get the snakes they want. The big breeders aren't the ones releasing their snakes.

Well, I do not own any large constrictors (but who knows what will inevitably be banned long term), so hypothetically speaking... I purchased them legally, made my life work around them legally, and put in a lot of hard work and sacrifice for them. I am bound to my responsibilities to care for my pets/family over any law, and I would definitely not let this bill stand in the way of that.

I'd "Smuggle" them!

We are not a good group to ask this question because we are primarily snake enthusiasts and think highly of our animals. When you look at the majority of people who go into a pet shop and buy a snake, I don’t think they have the same love of the animal we share. I think you are looking more at a group of people who will raise the snake for a few years and then sell it or give it away. I think most of the snakes being sold on Craig’s list and similar sites would fall into the “I’m tired of snakes” category.

I am generalizing a lot here, I understand that. I think the people described above are very likely to just release the snake. They may try to rehome it but bottom line if that doesn’t work out …….

Well, I only have my little corn for now, but I would LOVE to have some kind of boa or python in the future. If I had to move to a different state after I got said boa or python, I would definitely smuggle it. I've been on my fair share of road trips and never been checked out when crossing state lines, so I agree with everyone who is saying how would they know?

I have actually had my vehicle checked while crossing a state line. It was during a summer vacation somewhere between IN and AZ (can't remember where) in '95ish. And we just happened to be "smuggling" a box turtle in the vehicle. The turtle was in a shoe box in the back seat of the car and was not found.

So, I guess my point is...vehicle inspections are possible and so is smuggling. :santa:

Back