• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Held a BP today

Teddy Roosevelt

i loev cronsankes
Not swayed to buy one, but I really enjoyed the weight and feel of the body (it was young, maybe a little older than a hatchling). It was more... I don't know, fulfilling to hold than my wiry little hatchling corns, and muuuuch more calm. I don't particularly like their patterns/colors, but what are some snakes that are similar in body and disposition with some more attractive colors. I've been looking at rosies, so any opinions on those are appreciated but mostly I'm looking for a BP-esque snake without the same coloration as a BP.

Not swayed to buy one, but I really enjoyed the weight and feel of the body (it was young, maybe a little older than a hatchling). It was more... I don't know, fulfilling to hold than my wiry little hatchling corns, and muuuuch more calm. I don't particularly like their patterns/colors, but what are some snakes that are similar in body and disposition with some more attractive colors. I've been looking at rosies, so any opinions on those are appreciated but mostly I'm looking for a BP-esque snake without the same coloration as a BP.
Lexie, Have you seen the color morphs of all the BP's? Mostly Earth tones, but there are still some pretty striking animals IMO.

I've seen pied, and I cant tell a difference between pastel and normal, but they could be blue and purple and that patterning would be boring to me.

I've seen pied, and I cant tell a difference between pastel and normal, but they could be blue and purple and that patterning would be boring to me.
Pastel jungle patterning is very different from normal BP's. I wouldn't call the attached pics 'boring', busy, most definitely.

Attachments

• Pastel%20Jungle%20Ball%20Python1(1).jpg
    Pastel%20Jungle%20Ball%20Python1(1).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 73
  • super_pair_1-alt.jpg
    super_pair_1-alt.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 73
Take a look at some of the spider or pinstripe bps. They are not typical bp patterns at all.
Still just not into it. I'm sure there are some beautiful examples of balls out there, but they just aren't my cup of tea, pattern wise. Any ideas for something similar in weight and temperment?

Lexie, dwarf locality boas are definitely the way to go. :D I'm right there with you, I don't find BPs the least bit interesting...if someone was GIVING me a pied, a blue eyed leucy, or maybe an albino, I'd probably take it, but maybe not. I don't care for their 'personalities'...much too lazy for me. A dwarf BCI won't be quite as relaxed as a BP, but close. All my boas (other than the ATB, who doesn't count...they really are 'look, don't touch' snakes...) are very calm and willing to just hang out on the couch, two of them even seem to 'crave' attention...very personable snakies. :)

Rosies are nice as well. I don't have any, but I've heard good things about them.

Edit: Great mind think alike Becky! ;)

Rosies would probably be cheaper and more accessible to me, considering they occur naturally in my state, and I've even seen some high end morphs on craigslist for as cheap as $50, but I've also seen you guys raving about the BCI's... Next herp show is February, so maybe I'll hold a few different kinds there, see what fits me. I'm sort of confused about BP's being mentioned as lazy, though... every one I've seen has been exploring and curious, even in Petco (except for the one in shed). Maybe I'm just used to the "hide and don't move if you're seen" behavior of my hatchling corns.

Nearly every BP that I've seen outside of a pet store (where they are most likely just stressed into being active...looking for correct temps, etc.) has pretty much just been a lazy lump. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to that, maybe I've just managed to find all lazy BPs, but that has been my personal observation.

The ones the breeder I got my corns from had were moving around and exploring the tank wuite a bit, but they could be exceptions.

You can get dwarf boas such as Nicaraguans for around $40-$50. They are dark and stay fairly small. But I really do stress finding a good breeder to buy a boa from. There are plenty of breeders out there that claim "pure" when in fact it's a cross. Then a few yrs from now your dwarf is 8-10 foot. Little too late to take it back now. LOL

Really looking for something that gets as big or smaller than an adult corn, as I won't/don't have much room for anything else. So... an accidentally 8-10ft snake is not good, haha. Course I can always just not feed them, that's how I keep my T-rex small!

Have you looked into Children's pythons? Although, if you don't like earthy colors, I suppose they're a no go.

If you're looking for something that stays the size of a corn, i'd go with a western hognose! My little guy is amazing! love him so much! I'm sure others could back up my claims as well.. :)

I've looked at hognoses, but I want something that'll be a calm TV snake I can lug around for an hour if I like, instead of 15-20 minutes.

You should look into some of the Rainbow Boas then. There are quite a few localities, all with a difference in color, size, and pattern. The Colombian Rainbow Boas I believe stay fairly small, are very attractive, and seem to be fairly easy to find at a reasonable price. The Brazilian Rainbow Boas are a bit larger, but even more attractive, though they command a slightly higher price, but still reasonable.

Just some food for thought.

Nearly every BP that I've seen outside of a pet store (where they are most likely just stressed into being active...looking for correct temps, etc.) has pretty much just been a lazy lump. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to that, maybe I've just managed to find all lazy BPs, but that has been my personal observation.
I wish every one of mine would laze about when I get them out, it might take a minute for a few of them, but all of mine, without exception are very active snakes...I just don't understand why this reputation persists?

Well, they are a lot more calm being handled than any small snake Ive held, and even the adult corns my friend used to have, while patient in the face of three excited teenage girls, would never stop moving once in our hands. Some people who may be used to more wriggly or nippy snakes might interpret this as laziness?

What about this
DSC04326.jpg

Back