• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

WE really don't need this, period.

crackerhead

Hug Free Zone
Honestly some people just need to be taken out back and shot.

ARLINGTON, Texas — A raid on an exotic animal delivery company in Texas found starving snakes, hundreds of reptiles packed in shipping crates and rodents that had killed and eaten each other, officials said.
Dozens of people with the city of Arlington and animal welfare groups took inventory Tuesday of the animals — estimated at 20,000 — and removed them from the U.S. Global Exotics during the raid. The Arlington-based company, which advertises that it delivers exotic animals worldwide, did not respond to a telephone message seeking comment and it's Web site was down on Wednesday.
"Sometimes animals die, but the amount of animals dead far exceeded what you would normally see at any company like this," said Jay Sabatucci, manager of animal services with the city of Arlington. "Animals were not fed, not fed properly, overcrowded and attacking each other. Some were in an environment not proper for them, such as snakes in a 72-degree room with a lamp over them, which is not enough heat and could cause them to die."
The company's warehouse held mostly reptiles and rodents and also spiders, sloths and hedgehogs, but it was unclear how many were dead, said Maura Davies, a spokeswoman with the SPCA of Texas. Veterinarians treated the most severely malnourished animals, she said.
Hundreds of rodents were crammed in small containers covered with wire, and many had killed and eaten each other, Davies said. Other animals were kept in feeding troughs, and there were numerous stacked shipping containers still holding turtles and other reptiles that had been sent to the company, Davies said. About 200 iguanas were in one small room, she said.
A hearing will be held within 10 days to determine if the animals will be returned to the company or stay in the care of the animal welfare groups, Sabatucci said. The city is considering filing criminal charges against the owner, he said.
The city was tipped off recently by federal officials who had executed a warrant for another violation and reported concerns about the animals' conditions, Sabatucci said.

Just what we need......

this kind of cruelty (to ALL the animals, rodents included) makes me want to vomit (and then do some serious bodily injury to those involved).....

I think I will go hug my snakes and rats now...

Just more fuel for the fire about even being able to own exotics. Just give me 5 minutes alone with a baseball bat and the owner in a small room...

Oooo! Better yet...tie him up and put him in a small room with all the hungry mice and rats! Check back on him in about...what...3 days?

Just more fuel for the fire about even being able to own exotics. Just give me 5 minutes alone with a baseball bat and the owner in a small room...

Oooo! Better yet...tie him up and put him in a small room with all the hungry mice and rats! Check back on him in about...what...3 days?
Idea #1 is just instinctively what we'd all like to do, but I love the 2nd idea. It's a clever way of letting them realize the terror of their actions, and they should be equally punished for leaving their animals out to die in such horrific ways.

A hearing will be held within 10 days to determine if the animals will be returned to the company or stay in the care of the animal welfare groups, Sabatucci said.

This broke my heart. They uncovered that horror show and still have to think about whether or not the animals should be returned to the company? :mad:

I've heard of this type of thing happening with dog backyard breeders, I guess the reptile world has its bad guys too. Any idea which company this is?

This kind of crud gives the industry a bad name. We all try so hard to be responsible caregivers and then these morons come along and wipe it out in one fell swoop! How a person treats people/animals that are dependent on them speaks volumes about them as a human being.
And now we wait and see what happens to the pawns of this whole fiasco, those neglected animals.:headbang:
Terri

PS - I like for punishments to fit the crime. So hungry rodents and an incapacitated owner works for me.

People who treat animals like this make me want to vomit. Human beings aren't the only forms of life worthy of respect. I can't read a lot of stories like this because I'd just cry for days...I mostly skim them.

That makes me want to cry, I'm actually teary just thinking about it. Especially the 200 Iguanas really gets me but I feel just as bad for the rest of the poor animals. I wounder what they are going to do with all them now.

Love the 2nd suggestion, Susan. The whole situation is sickening, though.

Seeing as how I also like mice and rats (rats are soooo smart), I would prefer taking the hungry mice and rats, feeding them up (and humanely euthing any that either can't be saved or those for food).....finding pet homes for the rest....and......

and taking those owners and tying them up in a hot warehouse....and then just forgetting about them for a few weeks.......

Hey guys, lets not forget that the information we are receiving is coming from two sources: HSUS and PETA. Listen to/read what they say with a grain of salt. I have been to the US Global Exotics facility and when I was there did not see anything that would alarm me or make me think less of them. In my opinion, if US Global was doing anything wrong, then so is every other wholesaler in the country. If that is the case, then Glades, Reptile Depot, Amazon and any other wholesaler should be watching the door.

Hey guys, lets not forget that the information we are receiving is coming from two sources: HSUS and PETA. Listen to/read what they say with a grain of salt. I have been to the US Global Exotics facility and when I was there did not see anything that would alarm me or make me think less of them. In my opinion, if US Global was doing anything wrong, then so is every other wholesaler in the country. If that is the case, then Glades, Reptile Depot, Amazon and any other wholesaler should be watching the door.

Mike,
Good point regarding HSUS & PETA. I wonder what, if anything, local news people saw. If a reporter saw it with his or her own eyes, I think that's more reliable than PETA/HSUS. If a local humane society worker saw it, that's more reliable too.

However, it does seem possible, given the record of other types of animal sellers/resellers (mall pet stores & their distributors come to mind) that many herp wholesalers may well be less than wonderful. Should they be watching the door? Maybe. If they handle animals the way the distribution system for mall pet stores handles puppies & kittens, yes, they probably should be wary.

Mike,
Good point regarding HSUS & PETA. I wonder what, if anything, local news people saw. If a reporter saw it with his or her own eyes, I think that's more reliable than PETA/HSUS. If a local humane society worker saw it, that's more reliable too.

However, it does seem possible, given the record of other types of animal sellers/resellers (mall pet stores & their distributors come to mind) that many herp wholesalers may well be less than wonderful. Should they be watching the door? Maybe. If they handle animals the way the distribution system for mall pet stores handles puppies & kittens, yes, they probably should be wary.

Did you watch the video, all it shows are people from the SPCA.
Alos other people from Texas have been to the store and said they "weren't surprised" because they saw pretty bad conditions, see the Fauna thread.

The SPCA are a good group, right? Not connected to PETA? I don't know a lot about them, so just wanted to check.

Back