• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Really Cool Video: Woodpecker & Snake

Nanci

Alien Lover
(Don't worry, no one dies, at least during the video...)

And what kind of snake is it??

snake: "Stfu, I'm trying to sleep!!"

woodpecker = very hard headed haha, why did he keep going back??

Am I missing something? Is it not a yellow-bellied puffing snake (Pseustes sulphureus) like the video title says?

Well, cool. I never heard of the yellow-belly puffing snake. I don't know the range of the pileated WP. But I have an app for that!

Yea, cool video.. I remember seeing it a while back as well. I don't remember what the conclusion was on the type of snake. Lol

Pretty cool. At first I thought it was some North American Ratsnake....that bird is sure lucky it wasn't....one of those would have probably eaten the eggs/hatchlings and then certainly gone for the adult. I'm surprised the snake didn't get the adult bird...then again, I don't know much about a puffing snake...perhaps they aren't constrictors and instead only take baby birds/eggs. ??? I don't know. Perhaps if I ever get more time I'll look into it further.

I bet after the bird pecked the snake repeatedly while the snake was trapped in the nest, all the snake cared about was driving the bird away so he could make an exit! Probably not in eating mode any more.

...and filmed in Brazil...

"Location:

Peru (Pasco etc.), Ecuador, Brazil (Pará etc.), Bolivia,
Guyana, Surinam, French Guiana, Trinidad,
Colombia [Castro,F. (pers. comm.)]
Venezuela"

Source:
http://www.jcvi.org/reptiles/species.php?genus=Pseustes&species=sulphureus
I was not being a smart aleck, I was just looking at the credits on YouTube.com.
It says "Filmed in Brazil..."
I took that to mean that the boat, the tree, the bird, and the snake...are simultaneously in Brazil.
Now that does sound smart-aleck, but I would really rather be amusing than smart-alecky. :laugh:

If you wait until the video ends and the similar videos pop up on the bottom, the same video shows up and says it was filmed in Ichetucknee Springs, FL. Maybe that will help narrow down the possibility. To me it looked like the snake ate an egg rather than puff up. Just my opinion.

Yeah, but if it was in Florida, that snake does not live here. I live right by Ichetucknee.

Which is pronounced itch-a-TUCK-nee.

The one it says for Itchetucknee is labeled as a Green rat, which I'm going to assume is greenish, and is actually a naturally occurring intergrade. Nanci, those might be right in your area, if I remember correctly.

LOL. Now I'm really really curious. LOL.
I hear spanish or portuguese (or spanish or portuguese accents) in the background. I think the couple seems to be guests, on tour with the latino looking captain-leader-type.
The 'geography', flooded river, etc. looks south american-ish. IMHO.

I thought the green (or blue) rats were that one I've been obsessing about, the Baja Rat Snake, in Baja California.

Back