• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Frilled Lizard

heatfreakk3

Has anyone ever had or have one of these? I really want one and thinking about getting one but i thought i would ask and see if people had any first, if you do have one, do you like them?

Yes, follow Nanci's advice! LOL!

My wife and I have a Frilled Dragon. Actually, my wife is the author of the Frillie's World threads. He is quite the character. Their husbandry isn't much different then a beardie, except the humidity part. We love him so much that we are thinking of getting another.

Is there anything in particular that you wanted to know?

Wayne

So i looked at Frillie's world and the first one didnt show pics, but i saw part 3, and another part i think to. Wayne i was wondering first of all what substrate you use, also what all did you put in the tank for the frilled lizard (like sticks or grass or things like that) And last, what size is your tank?

We keep it simple and he seems to like it. Or at least he isn't complaining. :shrugs: ;)

For the floor of his tank, we use reptibark. It holds in moisture which is good for Frilled Dragons. We also use drift wood and treated logs and branches for him to climb on. On the bottom of his tank, we have a UTH which keeps the moisture up in the tank. On top we have both a UVA, UVB and a red night lamp.

Right now he is in a 30gal long, but as soon as I'm healed up enough, I have an old armoire that I'm converting into a viv/habitat for him. I will probably get some longer drift wood to put in that for him to climb on.

Wayne

Okay, how big is he right now? Do you have like a basking heat spot for him? I read that you neeed one like 100 degrees or something like that. If i got one i would plan on feeding him crickets with some greens also, just like beardies. Would that be okay/. Also how much are they? And where can you buy one?

Okay, how big is he right now?

He's about the size of an adult beardie right now. That's not including the 7 inch tail.

Do you have like a basking heat spot for him?

Yes!

I read that you neeed one like 100 degrees or something like that.

Yes, 100F is ideal with a cool spot down to 80-85F. Since I use multiple basking lights with him, I also give him a log cave to go in that can get as cool as 70F. He does venture in there once in a while.

If i got one i would plan on feeding him crickets with some greens also, just like beardies. Would that be okay/.

Crickets dusted in calcium powder is a good staple. You can also feed phoenix worms, wax worms, super worms, silk worms, mice pinkies (once a week as a treat), etc. Some like a variety of food.

As far as greens and fruits go. It's not necessary, but "some" will eat it. As long as you give them a well balanced diet of feeder bugs, they should be fine. You can try things like romaine lettuce, bananas and some other non acidic vegetables.

Also how much are they? And where can you buy one?

That my friend is the million dollar question. My wife and I, have been looking for a C/B Frillie for a while now. You have to be careful, because most of the market are W/C imports. I'm not saying that W/C is bad, but they could be a headache that you don't want.

We purchased ours at a local family owned pet store. They got their frillie from a local breeder. When we contacted that breeder, that person was no longer breeder her frillie because her breeders were too old. I paid close to $200 for him. I've seen a couple for sale in the range of $150-$250.

My Frillie happens to be the pickiest eater I have ever seen. He will only eat crickets (but they can't have wings), phoenix worms and pinkies (unfortunately, live). He's a bit of a pain. This is not typical for the species though. My guy was stuck in the local pet store for a while. They are a good, knowledgeable and clean pet store, but they fed him a consistent diet of ONLY phoenix worms. He was there for about a year before we got him. Which is probably why he is so picky.

One time I actually went out and paid some good money to buy him some silk worms because they are the preimo feeder bugs. Very nutritious! I put them in his viv, he ate one and then shot me this look as if I was trying to slip him a mickey or something. That was not happening as far as he was concerned. I had a tub of about 250 of them. I wound up giving them away.

As I mentioned, this is not typical for most frillies, but if you buy a W/C one, then you could really get a picky one that was used to eating only one type of bug or rodent. He or she may not adjust.

I hope this helps a bit. If there is anything else I could help you with, please ask.

Good Luck!

Wayne

PS, in case you didn't know. W/C mean Wild Caught and C/B means Captive bred.

PSS, I may get lambasted for this, but this is a good site to learn about frillies. You may even find a breeder here.

http://www.repticzone.com/forums/FrilledDragons/index.html

Oh okay thanks Wayne, ill keep looking and doing research. Would it be okay if i didnt have a uth for him? And just the spot lights?

Today at the Oklahoma reptile show a guy was selling 2 frilled dragons, only $140 each! I wish i had more money and a cage set up for one, i would of snaged one of those up.

Back