• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Herping in the Desert--DUW

tyflier

[Insert Witty Commentary]
I went on a field trip to the local Volcanic Tablelands today with The Eastern Sierra Herpetology Club this morning, and had a fantastic day...

barred-spiny.jpg

Barred Spiny Lizard

horned-lizard.jpg

Northern Desert Horned Lizard

sideblotch.jpg

Common Sideblotch

zebratail-pair.jpg

Mating pair of Zebratails

And the find of the day, which was actually a Lifer for me...

coachwhip2.jpg

coachwhip.jpg

Red Coachwhip

I took about a dozen bites from this coachwhip, but he was worth every second and drop of blood. Afterall...they aren't called "nasty-cophis" for nothing...

Thanks for taking the time to look!

I just love horned lizards! Looks like a great day of herping, and beautiful photos to boot.

I'm impressed that you were able to snag that coachwhip. I've seen one once. For like two seconds before it was gone!

...I'm impressed that you were able to snag that coachwhip. I've seen one once. For like two seconds before it was gone!

This is the third live Red Coachwhip I have found in the wild...the first I have ever gotten my hands on. Believe it or not, I actually urinated on one first thing this morning...on accident, of course.

We parked our cars, I got out and walked over to a bush to relieve myself, and mid-stream, I saw one in the bush I was using. By the time I finished up, I managed to touch it's tail as it slithered down into a burrow. VERY frustrating...until I caught this one about 5 hours later...

Thanks to both of you for the comments!

Great Finds Chris.. I have never seen a live coachwhip... Ever...!! Lucky butt!!! I miss herping... At least I can look at your pics for now.. Thanks for sharing :)

What awesome finds, Chris!!! Love the Coachwhip especially. Their bites really don't hurt all that much, but they DO know how to draw blood, don't they? :)

I still haven't seen a horned lizard (horney toad)... they're supposed to be around here too... but I haven't found one yet.

AND, as always, AWESOME pics! :)

What awesome finds, Chris!!! Love the Coachwhip especially. Their bites really don't hurt all that much, but they DO know how to draw blood, don't they? :)
Yea, their teeth are relatively small, but they are ultra-SHARP. And for some reason, this little one decided that just biting wasn't enough...he needed to chew...

I still haven't seen a horned lizard (horney toad)... they're supposed to be around here too... but I haven't found one yet.
Yea, you should have a couple different species in your neck of the woods. I find them all the time out here, but usually it is because they are running out from under foot as I'm walking...

AND, as always, AWESOME pics! :)
You're too kind. Thanks for the compliment!

Oh, MAN! A horned lizard! I've wanted one since I was 9 years old--and that was a LONG time ago! I wonder if one can even keep them--I don't think I've ever seen someone who has them in a collection.

I love all of the photos. That last pic of your wild snake is amazing!

Oh, MAN! A horned lizard! I've wanted one since I was 9 years old--and that was a LONG time ago! I wonder if one can even keep them--I don't think I've ever seen someone who has them in a collection.

I love all of the photos. That last pic of your wild snake is amazing!

I know a few people who've been successful keeping them in captivity, but it takes a lot of effort. Of course, you can always capture a lot of ants everyday, but it takes some effort to get them on crickets, from what I hear.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments!

Apparently there is someone on Fauna that is selling some that are already on crickets...

Luckily out here the Horney toads natural prey is making a comeback, I have seen around 50 colonies over the past month and a lot of them are ones I saw last year.... I am glad the fire ants haven't destroyed them.

After reading their feeding requirements and all of the other husbandry needs, I guess I won't get one any time soon :-(. Oh well. Maybe I can find a Safari toy that looks like one :).

Back