• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Would this work?

Acedraco

i hope to get my first corn soon, and i wanted to plant live plants in his aquarium. the only problem is, my bedding would be able to be planted in. I had a plan to put a layer of sterile soil in a layer on the bottom and put a sheet of plexi over it with holes cut in the plexi. i would plant the plants in the holes and they would grow out. My bedding would be on the top of the plexi, so there would be no way for the snake to get in contact with the soil. the only problem is that i wanted to use a uth, but with a layer of soil, idk if the heat would reach the snake. what do you think?

i hope to get my first corn soon, and i wanted to plant live plants in his aquarium. the only problem is, my bedding would be able to be planted in. I had a plan to put a layer of sterile soil in a layer on the bottom and put a sheet of plexi over it with holes cut in the plexi. i would plant the plants in the holes and they would grow out. My bedding would be on the top of the plexi, so there would be no way for the snake to get in contact with the soil. the only problem is that i wanted to use a uth, but with a layer of soil, idk if the heat would reach the snake. what do you think?

I would be concerned more with the moisture required to keep the plants alive and how it could possibly affect the snake. I am not saying it can not be done, but you would have to be careful. Heat could be achieved via an overhead source if absolutely necessary.

dc

I picked up The Art of Keeping Snakes from Amazon. It goes into detail about keeping live plants in a vivarium, including which kinds will work and how to keep them alive.

Assuming the book is right, your first problem would be getting enough light to the plants. The book recommends plants in containers so they can be rotated in and out, so you can have one getting some sun while the other is in the vivarium. It's an interesting read, and has some useful info on corns and types of substrate and other things.

I had actually planned on using plants like pothos, jade, chinese evergreen, wandering jew, stuff that doesnt need much moisture. from what i've read, all these plants dont need to be watered more than once a week, which would be done when i clean the cage out. im kinda stumped on the light.. maybe a lamp with some type of bulb would work? also, do you think the heat would be gone in the time it would take it to go allthe way up to the top layer of substrate?

Back