PDA

View Full Version : Protocol for refusals?

Protocol for refusals?

maxfox426
06-06-2010, 09:06 AM
When a snake refuses a meal, is there is a particular procedure to follow? Do I try again the next night or wait longer before I offer new prey? Does it depend on the size/age of the snake?

Tatl should have had her 5th meal post-regurge last night, but was having none of it. She's on a 5-day feeding schedule, if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance! :D

Sweetseraph
06-06-2010, 09:30 AM
I think most people wait until the next scheduled meal to offer again (that's what I do too). If you feel that's too long, I would wait at least 3 days. If you offer too often, you end up conditioning the snake to refuse. Part of the idea of waiting is also that the snake gets that much hungrier and you have a higher chance of them eating.

Nanci
06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I wait till the next scheduled meal, even with the tiniest babies. I typically don't feed when the snake is blue, either, unless I don't know before I thaw the prey and there isn't anyone else to give it to. So it won't hurt her to miss one meal.

maxfox426
06-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you! That is kinda what I thought, but I couldn't find anything to confirm it. :) Glad to know it's not that big a deal!