PDA

View Full Version : A curious snake momma ...

A curious snake momma ...

ashnruss
06-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Russ came to me February 16th, 2009, when I first got him he weighed 10 grams and he was 14 inches. I weighed again today and he is at 12 grams and last time I measured his shed (April 22nd, 2009) he was 18 inches. I know he has grown a few inches since then. I guess my question is is a weight gain of only 2 grams normal? I figured he would be growing longer before he would gain much weight, but I’m a bit curious as to if this is normal. I’m following the Munson plan and he is on one pinkie every 5-6 days. He eats really well and I’ve never had any health problems with him before. I have no clue how old he is since he’s a pet store bought snake. Thanks for the input! :)

ShenziSixaxis
06-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Corns are like any other animal. All of them grow at different rates. Unless he starts losing weight or stops putting it on for a few months, nothing is wrong. Reptiles don't mature within 20 days like mice.

bkelm18
06-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Each one grows differently. Mine puts on about 2-3 grams per week and has done so since I bought it as a hatchling last year. I follow the Munson plan as well.

cornsnakeforsale_com
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Nothing to worry about. My son is doing the same thing right now.

Caryl
06-07-2010, 01:40 PM
As the others have said, they're individuals and all grow at different rates. You can sometimes see this even with full siblings. Don't be surprised if yours hits a growth spurt when he moves up to fuzzies; many of them do.

You're obviously a caring owner. Keep up the good work and enjoy your snake.

ShenziSixaxis
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Don't be surprised if yours hits a growth spurt when he moves up to fuzzies; many of them do.

My normal SLOWED on growing when I moved her to fuzzies. :eek1:

Caryl
06-07-2010, 11:56 PM
My normal SLOWED on growing when I moved her to fuzzies. :eek1:

That's interesting. I guess she's just proving the rule and being an individual.:shrugs:

EsotericForest
06-08-2010, 07:34 AM
The Petsmart that I rescued mine corn from was stupidly feeding pinkies still, even though we was fully capable of eating a hopper. I fed him hoppers for about a month and he really started going into a growth spurt. I can't believe how much he's grown since I got him.