PDA

View Full Version : My first DIY cage system!!!

My first DIY cage system!!!

martin-bernstein
06-12-2010, 08:39 AM
So I based this off of Matthew of Blue Apple Herps' guide to a two in one cage so I've gotta give Matthew the credit for a great design. I just expanded it a bit and made it into a six viv system.
Link to Matthew's design:
http://www.blueappleherps.com/page13/page5/page5.html

I've used Premium Pine and acrylic windows, and so as to make cleaning easier each viv has a tub as a bottom so I can just pull out the tub, clean it and put it back in. It is 72" tall, 28" wide and 16" deep.

I built this guy in two days and it was pretty expensive (NYC lumber ain't cheap.) But I just got two beautiful Lavas from Joe of Captain's Colubrids, and I'm awaiting some more beauties from Carol this summer, so I want their vivs to look pretty. I'll be building more of these so all my snakes can live in an apartment complex like this!

I'll be gone for the entire summer with little or no inet access so, I'll be able to answer questions if there are any later in the summer.

cornsnakeforsale_com
06-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Very nice. Too bad my kids would be getting into the bottom 4. Very nice design overall. Is that lighting in the back I see?

desertanimal
06-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Looks very nice. I'm assuming that there's no room between the sides of the tubs and the sides of the units so that you've effectively given them tall enclosures without tall tubs but that the can't get to the bottom outside the tub?

martin-bernstein
06-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks to you both. DesertAnimal, that is correct. I designed the entire thing around the tubs. I've noticed that almost all my corns plus my rattie love to climb and I really want them to develop strong muscles so I've given them some height. Soon I'll be building them all a climbing jungle inside their vivs...

HERETiC
06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
That is awesome man, nice work!

EsotericForest
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Looks like it's well put together. Congrats on a good build, as well as your first :)

martin-bernstein
07-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys!