• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby snake died, second snake now not eating?

Miqote

Unfortunately, my non-eater Pineapple ended up passing away on June 4. I still don't know what triggered him to stop eating, but he lost weight and grew more lethargic by the day until we found him dead on June 4.

Sprinkle has rejected 2 feedings on June 10 and now today on June 15. Some notes:

The day after Pineapple died, on June 5, Sprinkle ate her two pinkies with no problem. The heating pad on Pineapple's tank was much more reliable/stable then Sprinkle's was, so I decided to switch her into his cage. I used a diluted bleach solution to clean the entire cage, I thoroughly rinsed it and let it dry in the sun, and rinsed it again and fully let it dry. None of Pineapple's decorations or other things were reused. I always wash my hands between handling snakes and Pineapple always ate in paper bags so he never touched the feeding bins (which I clean between feedings anyway.)

I understand that Sprinkle may have gone off eating from moving tanks, but she's always been a voracious eater and gained weight and shed since I got her, and now it has been 12 days since moving tanks. She has lost 1-2 grams (now 18g from 20g) since she stopped eating. I can't help but think this pattern is somehow connected, despite how well I cleaned the tank!

Besides trying 1001 feeding trick and tips, which I will do, would it be wise to move her into a brand new setup?

Also, I plan on making a vet appointment right away, the thought of losing another snake is beyond my capacity. Could anyone tell me what to expect when bringing a snake to the vet? If she hasn't eaten, how will they collect a stool sample? What tests can they do in this scenario?

If anyone knows any contagious diseases, parasites, or etc. that could be passing between two snakes, I'm having a lot of trouble finding any online and would love to be able to research more.

I am so distraught from Pineapple's passing away, I can't bear to lose Sprinkle too. :(

OMGosh I am so sorry! I could not imagine what you must be feeling. I have no Vet experience, etc...just wanted to send my condolences to you. I hope they can figure out what happened & get Sprinkles back on track for you.

OMGosh I am so sorry! I could not imagine what you must be feeling. I have no Vet experience, etc...just wanted to send my condolences to you. I hope they can figure out what happened & get Sprinkles back on track for you.

I really feel awful. I hope I haven't made Sprinkle ill by moving her into that tank. But I cleaned it so well.. it was cleaned and sitting for 4 days before I even moved her into it. I'm sick with worry now thinking she may die also... :(

The only contagious disease I can find is crypto but none of my snakes have regurged or had inflated bellies. :(:(

This is really bizarre. I hope someone comes on & can at least tell you what happens at a Vets office. I still worry 3yrs later if mine skip a meal. Hang in there!

Is it possible that the bleach or cleaning agents have stuck around some? You might try just a plastic shoe box and paper towel for a simple setup for a while. Keep the heat nearby of course.

Maybe give her more time to get used to her new tank?

If she's still stressed out about the move, she's not going to eat. I'd treat it the same as if you just brought it home from the store, leave it alone for a week (no handling, minimal disturbances) and make sure all the temps, humidity, etc. are correct.

Also, are there plenty of hides for her to feel secure?

I'm so sorry for your loss of Pineapple. I know you're really worry about Sprinkle now, and I wish I could help.

Maybe Nanci hit the nail on the head. Maybe Sprinkle is blue and that's why she's not eating. They will sometimes drop a bit of weight while fasting during a shed cycle.

Porro could be right, too. When we move snakes from viv to viv, for them it's a major move. It's a good idea to move some of their old bedding and familiar hides, then give the same settling in period you would give to a new snake.

Crypto is the only contagious deadly disease I can think of, but I've never heard of it showing up so fast. Hopefully the vet will come up with some ideas.

You and Sprinkle will be in my prayers, Miquote.

Check the basics before panicking - how are the temps on the warm and cool sides, at floor level? Too low or too high can cause refusals.

Thanks everyone so much for your kind and helpful replies. It's possible that Sprinkle is getting ready to shed, but I'm not sure. She last shed on 5/4/2010 so she might be due. Her eyes don't look cloudy to me, but last time she shed I couldn't tell and it was a surprise! There is no shortage of humidity in Rhode Island, always in the 50-60% range, but I will give her a gentle soak just in case.

Everything seems fine in regards to temperatures and hides. I have a lot of fake plants and ground cover and hides on either side of the tank. I did move her into a bin today though. I had wanted to get rid of the glass aquariums anyway because they are heavy! She is muscley and heavier then Pineapple was by a lot, so I'm probably overreacting and it's just the stress of moving. I'm going to wait 6 days to let her adjust to moving tanks and trying feeding again, if she doesn't eat or shed or something I'll make an appointment with the vet.

It really helps having people who understand about the loss of a snake. There haven't been many people in real life who I could share my sadness with due to snake stigma. :(

Omg! Well, on the way home we stopped buy our local pet store, and he happened to have some fresh pinkies so we grabbed 2 and I plopped them in with Sprinkle. I threw a shirt over and just checked and she ate both!!!!!! Yay!

I know I shouldn't spoil her with live food but I really really wanted her to eat. I'm so happy!

Omg! Well, on the way home we stopped buy our local pet store, and he happened to have some fresh pinkies so we grabbed 2 and I plopped them in with Sprinkle. I threw a shirt over and just checked and she ate both!!!!!! Yay!

I know I shouldn't spoil her with live food but I really really wanted her to eat. I'm so happy!

Awesome news!! :dancer:

I'm sorry to hear that Pineapple passed away. That's good news though that Sprinkle is eating. Hopefully she continues to eat and perhaps this means that there's nothing contagious to worry about.

Wonderful news, and maybe live pinks was what she needed to get back on track. Fingers crossed that her next meal will go down as easily!

All the kind replies really mean the world to me!

This is very embarrassing. The day after I thought Sprinkle ate I found the pinkies dead, they had somehow wedged themselves under a decoration and she hadn't eaten them at all (I smelled something awful!). I'm sure she didn't regurge because they were totally intact. I was trying my best not to disturb her so I guess I didn't check very well after she ate. I just saw the pinkies were gone, I never thought they would hide!! Uhg!! :nope: Serves me right for feeding her in her cage. :(

Anyway, it's okay. I think she's feeling a bit better in her new tub. Once 6 days have passed I'll try feeding her a f/t pinky and see what happens, and if she doesn't eat I'll make an appointment.

I really can't say enough, how thankful I am for everyone here! I was really panicking when Sprinkle first stopped eating but now I feel much better. Still worried of course but I think she will be okay. :)

That's to bad she is not eating yet, but here's hoping that after a settle in period in the tub she will be good and hungry or will have surprised you with a shed by then.

Back