PDA

View Full Version : EASY RACK BUILD!!!!

EASY RACK BUILD!!!!

HoosierHerper
06-15-2010, 03:36 AM
So here it is. It cost me right at $45 dollars to build. (I already had heat, and a Johnson Thermostat). This is made from 2 of those Walmart Mainstays 3 shelf bookcases, but can also just as easily be done with the 5 shelf model.

Materials:
2-3 Shelf Bookcases from Walmart : $30
1 package of 1" wood screws from Walmart : $2
6-22" long 1"x1/2" 'square' dowels : $12 (Can be had much cheaper at a home improvement store, ie. Home Depot or Lowe's....but I did my shopping late and went ahead and got these at Walmart)

Tools:
Drill-(or a Phillips head screwdriver...be careful with the drill, you can easily split the square dowels)
Hammer
Jigsaw-to cut your square dowels, or you can have the guys at the store do it.

-----------------------------------
1. Open your bookshelves and separate the pieces into piles.

2. Take your square dowels that have already been cut to size and connect the side panels of the bookcases together using the wood screws and drill. REMEMBER to go slow because you WILL split the wood....I did ;)
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack001.jpg

3. Continue assembling the bookshelves according to manufacturer instructions. Make sure to use both of the small "dams" they provide. Even though one won't be visible, it will help support the middle.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack003.jpg

4. Before you nail down the back for the rack, I would cut little grommets for your wiring to come out of.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack004.jpg

This is what you should have now. Basically the bookshelf, but twice as deep.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack005.jpg

5. Slide your shelves onto the square dowels. The dowels not only connect the 2 cases, but also will serve to hold up your shelves...much sturdier than the little pins in the holes.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack007.jpg

HoosierHerper
06-15-2010, 03:36 AM
6. Tape your flexwatt down where you want it and feed the wires through your "grommets".
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack009.jpg

7. Mount your thermostat or other heating control device to your rack wherever you'd like it. And plug in your flexwatt.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack011.jpg

Wired with flexwatt to the thermostat. Shelves in.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack012.jpg

Happy new tenants!
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/godfatherleo/Rack%20Build/Rack013.jpg

This rack gives you 4 shelves (including the top of the unit) that are each 23"X28". I will have two 12qts per shelf or one 32qt Sterilite latchbox per shelf. You will need lids, as the shelves are not close enough to go lidless (I always have the lids on regardless)

Again...$45 to build!!!!!!!!! (And it don't look too bad neither!) :crazy02:
Comes in white, brown, and black. Finally make yourself a unit to match your entertainment center!

Let me know what you all think of it!

Bisbal069
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Great rack, however, get your toes out of the picture! I hate feet! lol!

cornsnakeforsale_com
06-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I love a good snake rack. I'd have it taller, though maybe two of those stacked would work best.

Em Wright
06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
If you want taller you could always pick up the 5-shelf bookcases that walmart sells. :)

HoosierHerper
06-16-2010, 12:06 AM
If you want taller you could always pick up the 5-shelf bookcases that walmart sells. :)

Ditto. Those are $25 a piece which would put you right around $60.
I don't know if I'd stack 2 of the 3 shelf models...the weight limits per the instructions are as follows:

Very top of unit, and the very bottom shelf of unit each hold approx. 50 lbs. The middle adjustable shelves hold approx. 35 lbs. each.

Em Wright
06-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Hey Josh, where'd you buy your Flexwatt from? Was it online or locally?

HoosierHerper
06-16-2010, 12:21 AM
I got it from Reptilebasics.com. If you buy the connectors and stuff he'll wire it free. But I found out the American Rodent Supply that is about 10 miles away from me has it in stock in LARGE quantities because it's also a site where they build their racks. When I got for more I am going to get it there.

Em Wright
06-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks! It'd be so nice to have someone wire it for me. My husband isn't sure if he can do it and I don't want him to do it if he's not 100% sure he can. Though I have a pretty straight forward, simple tutorial that I found...

Anyway, thanks again. :D

cornsnakeforsale_com
06-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Just have them do it, it's free or next to free if I remember correctly.

Em Wright
06-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Just have them do it, it's free or next to free if I remember correctly.

Thanks, I'm thinking I will. :cool:

wax32
06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Thanks, I'm thinking I will. :cool:

I get my flex watt from Rich and Reptile basics and let him wire it. Just figure out how long a shelf you will be using. I use a shelf from Lowes and just get Rich to make the flexwatt 4 feet long.

Em Wright
06-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh all right. I was actually wondering what I'd do about length... I guess that's the obvious reason. :p The more I think about the more I believe I'll just have him do it. I know it'll be done right, I won't have to nag my husband or myself either for that matter... And since it appears to be free with supplies, why not use it? :cool:

Thanks guys!

ThePaganJew
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I actually took this idea and made a modified version of it to work with the 5 shelf bookcase. The 5 shelf is a little wobbly (trying to find a way to shore it up) but it's working well. I'll put up some pictures later if you all want.

Em Wright
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Ooo pics would be great. I'd love to see a 5-shelf version of this. :)

Dreamsnake
07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
That is a beautiful rack. I thought of putting bookcases together like that as well. I'm glad it works so when it's time to built a serpent complex, I can follow in the footsteps of someone wiser. I was wondering, is it possible to put ball pythons and corns in the same rack. Or would that stress the snakes out too much?

ThePaganJew
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Ok so here's a picture I took of the 5 shelf. I made extra shelves using particleboard that are made to the perfect height for 28qt tubs. The bottom ones hold corns and the rest hold crested geckos and spare tanks for now.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac345/ThePaganJew/Reptile%20room%20and%20enclosures/Newsnakerack.jpg

Em Wright
07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh that looks so freaking nice! I have one 5-shelf bookcase right now, I'm gonna have to pick up another one. Thanks for sharing pics!

ThePaganJew
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
What I did for extra shelves was I took one of bookcase shelves to home depot, found someone in the lumber department and went, "excuse could you find me particle or something of a similar thickness and cut me some pieces that would be the size of two of this shelf?" and they did!

Em Wright
07-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Oh yes, Home Depot is pretty good about that. I haven't actually had them cut anything for me, but I've heard before that they cut lumber to the customer's specifications. Very nice if you don't have the proper tools to do so yourself. :cool:

zamora
07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I was wondering, is it possible to put ball pythons and corns in the same rack. Or would that stress the snakes out too much?

I certainly hope it doesnt stress them out too much since I have boas, balls and corns all in my rack! LOL I just keep the balls on the bottom, boas in the middle and corns on the top. I'll try and get a pic this weekend for ya.

CDCHerpetological
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Very Cool!

greenman
09-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey, I was just looking at the same rack. How did you score the extra shelving pieces to make it extra deep? The units I was looking at one comes with 1 adjustable shelf.

HoosierHerper
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
It's made from 2 units. you combine the units front to back to make it 2x as deep.

greenman
09-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I get that forsuree! But you have 2 adjustable shelves set up, each adjustable shelf is comprise of 2 seperate shelves. Hence 4 seperate adjustable shelves. The unit I was looking that was the same as yours comes with one 1 shelf each, so that would only be 2 shelves total

HoosierHerper
09-09-2010, 09:03 PM
It's apparently not the same as mine. The bookshelves if assembled according to normal instructions have 2 movable shelves. So if you have 2 units, then you have 4 movable shelves.

If I were you I would make sure it's the same unit I used...because if so, it will have 2 movable shelves per unit that you buy.

bruno232
10-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I like this rack so much I am building it. What size flexwatt are you using?

HoosierHerper
10-10-2010, 12:21 AM
If I did it over again, I would run 11" flexwatt in two strips down the back wall. Back heat = safe. Not that I've had a problem with belly heat...but you can use less flexwatt doing it that way. I used a strip of 4" flexwatt running along the shelf (belly heat) towards the back though..

HissyFitz
11-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I was actually thinking about combining this idea ithe the one from another thread with a few modiifications.http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99878&highlight=converted

It will be for 2 snakes not 3 so there will be plenty of room for climbing.I am actually wanting to reuse my UTHs so I was to cut a hole in the shelves in the middle have my step dad hit the hole with a router to give it a lip to hold the glass of course and the UTH on that glass.I would use the other shelf to go beteen the two Vivs to allow for the cord and to let the excess heat build up escape(kind of like the little feet that come with the UTH) then enclose the front with the plexi. for the back I guess I would just use some plywood I have left over from replacing my kitchen floor and add vents Do you think it will work?

PaulThe
11-29-2010, 01:20 AM
I did this today, with 2 of my grandmas book shelves she didnt want, instead of using nails and some wood, i gorilla glue'd the 2 shelves together. It is very steady =D

Hillybean
10-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Awesome!! I was thinking of doing something similar to this. I live in an apartment, so cutting wood is not possible. I plan to get the five shelf book case, and get more shelfs cut at home depot. Drilling more holes and such is not a problem.

I also already use lids, so that won't be an issue either!

Did this work well for you?

Sinisterrodents
10-14-2011, 07:01 PM
You can find these shelving units sometimes for free on craigslist as well

Dakafall
10-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Gonna get started on mine tomorrow, super excited and hoping it'll work as planned. Will take pics to add

Destarte
10-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Way to necro a thread! :D Great idea Josh!

Hillybean
11-23-2011, 08:01 AM
I did this exact thing. The only thing I would like to add is that you want to buy both shelves at the same time. I bought the first book shelf because it was the only one they had, so we went back a few days later for the second one. Well, because they came from from different manufactured lots (I am quessing) they are off a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch.

They still look really nice though, way better than out on a table stacked like I had them :).

I am also using a heat cable bought from petsmart, instead of heat tape.

ashleynicole
11-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm looking for cheap rack options, thanks for sharing. Are there any issues with using the uth with the plastic tubs?

Hillybean
11-24-2011, 08:41 AM
nope, no issues as of yet.

Xxluucidxx
03-30-2024, 02:12 AM
This actually work ?? How long has it been ?