PDA

View Full Version : What the....?

What the....?

CornSnakeBreeder
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
So I gave my male hypo snow, glazer, a bath about half an hour ago, as well as all my other snakes. My other snakes semmed to enjoy the nice room temperature water, and so did glazer, but when I looked in the water that glazer was in...there were little black speckles. I know that it could be just dirt, or it could be little mites. I don't think they're mites, but I want other opinions. I know, better be safe than sorry but I don't want to be over reacting about what could just be dirt. There are also around 3 or 4 little black speckles in his water bowl. Any advice? If I need to treat him for mites, where can I get this mite killer stuff (In Montreal) and how do I treat him?

ComoxCorn
06-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I would look at those little black specs under a magnifying glass. I suspect you have mites. If indeed this is a case of the dreaded mites, you will need to treat your entire collection, as these pests will invade your snake room quickly. Here is a link that Jay@PJCReptiles has stickied in their personal forum as a reliable treatment for mites. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52545
You can purchase Nix at any pharmacy. You will probably have to ask the pharmacist, as in Canada, this product is not stocked on the shelves.

CornSnakeBreeder
06-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I know to be cautious that I need to treat my whole collection, but when I gave them bathes, they didnt have any black specks in the water...can I get the mites from him? :S
I don't have a magnifying glass, well my brother does, but there toys, they work, but Im not sure if they work well enough...do I need a perscription from a vet? Can mites kill him?

bekers71
06-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Pick up one of the dirt looking pieces and squeeze it between your fingers. If it smears and looks like blood it's mites. Possible it could be dirt depending on what type of bedding you use too.

CornSnakeBreeder
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I use aspen as a bedding, I tried to cut one black speckles in half using my nail and it just went in half, no blood or nothing, does that mean its dirt?

Kels88
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
To my knowledge, people can't get reptile mites.
Mites can be a major problem if neglected, but as long as you get rid of them now your snake should be fine.

CornSnakeBreeder
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Okay thats good, I was worried. I don't like creepy crawlys, and especially ones you can hardly see, so to think they could be one me..just freaks me out and makes me want to go take a loooong shower in hot water. :P

I just checked Glazer, I found 2 black specks in his water, i took the first one and squished it...no blood residue. I took the second black speck and smeared it, no blood residue. Do you think its enough to conclude that he doesn't have mites? Are there other signs to look for when your sake has mites other than black specks in water? He eats regularly, I scanned his skin, very closely on his head, no black specks...He never soaks in his water bowl, or at least I never catch him soaking. What else can I look for?

ComoxCorn
06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
You don't need a prescription to buy Nix. The pharmacies keep it behind the counter however. If you do end up treating your snakes, just follow the instructions in the link I posted to you. I can't see it been dirt if you are using aspen bedding. Left untreated, mites cause a great deal of stress to your snakes. It can affect the overall health of your entire collection. Not to mention, you are breeding your snakes. If mites are present, anyone who purchases a snake from you is now at risk of having thier own collection infested.

sinisterserpents1
06-15-2010, 03:10 PM
We use to use aspen and would get the occasional sightings of mites, but now we just use newspaper and haven't seen one mite since! Conclusion: Mites came from the aspen?

kathylove
06-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Look in the long groove under his chin, the one that divides the left side of his throat and chin from the right side. That groove, plus the space around the eyes, is the most likely place for mites to hang out. You can usually see part of the mite bodies in the eye socket or sticking out from under the chin groove. Use the magnifying glass if needed.

Also, take a white (or very light colored) paper tissue (like Kleenex) and firmly wipe down his whole body (including face, eyes, and neck), with your hand and fingers wrapped firmly around the tissue while wiping (don't squish TOO hard, of course!). Then quickly and carefully study the tissue that was in contact with his body. Look for anything dark that is moving. If you see nothing with either method, then continue to check the same way every few days for the next 2 or 3 weeks. If you still see nothing, then it was probably a false alarm.

CornSnakeBreeder
06-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone, I will use your method, Kathy, and I will see what happens. I gave him a thorough checkup earlier (including the groove under his chin and the space around his eyes, and I didn't see anything) however, I will still wipe down his body with the a kleenex.

I still don't think its mites, but just incase I will keep a close eye on him and his habits and I will wipe him down every 3rd day for 2 weeks. Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

MysticExotics
06-16-2010, 03:13 AM
We use to use aspen and would get the occasional sightings of mites, but now we just use newspaper and haven't seen one mite since! Conclusion: Mites came from the aspen?

I was told to put the bag of aspen in the freezer overnight, to kill mites & eggs that might be in the bedding, so that's what I do, just to be safe. :)