PDA

View Full Version : Bent and crinkled scales

Bent and crinkled scales

ShenziSixaxis
06-15-2010, 05:07 PM
Hm, interesting story here. A few nights ago after feeding my corns, my normal managed to get out of her tub. I found her inbetween the shelf and the back of a bookcase and gently got her out. Since she'd just been fed, I made sure she wasn't hurt and put her back in her tub (with a heavy, unused heat rock on the lid to keep it tight XD).

Well, earlier I took her out and I noticed some of her scales in places are bent at the midpoint, and some are crinkled, like newspaper (but not bent). If I deliberately touch where some of the screwed up scales are she'll flinch, but there's no bleeding wounds or scrapes or missing scales that I can see.

I'm betting that these will be corrected over the next shed cycle or two, but I'm wondering if anyone has some advice.

wendhend
06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
I have had three snakes that scraped themselves against stuff and really messed up their scales. The damage does mostly seem to repair itself with time and skin sheds. Two of my three that did that have no permanent evidence that their scales ever got messed up. My hypo bloodred, however, scraped himself really severely trying to crawl under a rack drawer divider (which I will not use anymore), and he scraped himself so deep, that he lost some pigment along part of his spine. His scales have come back fine after a couple of sheds, but I suspect the white line along part of his spine may be a permanent thing. Time will tell....