PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Patterns

Feeding Patterns

AlexEarl
06-16-2010, 07:56 AM
hi, i bought my first corn snake 5 weeks ago, since he was born has had a steady eating pattern and has eaten 3 times since i bought him. but now he has refused 3 meals.
one was 5 days after he had previously eaten, i then tried again on sunday (3 days later) and then again yesterday. but this time i put him in a large sandwich box overnight with some substrate, a toilet roll tube as a hide and the pinkys. i woke up this morning and he still has not eaten. it does not look like he is going into shed but has recently been hiding all day and all night (with the exception of me getting him out to handle him.

should i just keep trying every 3 days until he eats? and any idea why he has suddenly gone like this?

thanks

Porro
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
hi, i bought my first corn snake 5 weeks ago, since he was born has had a steady eating pattern and has eaten 3 times since i bought him. but now he has refused 3 meals.
one was 5 days after he had previously eaten, i then tried again on sunday (3 days later) and then again yesterday. but this time i put him in a large sandwich box overnight with some substrate, a toilet roll tube as a hide and the pinkys. i woke up this morning and he still has not eaten. it does not look like he is going into shed but has recently been hiding all day and all night (with the exception of me getting him out to handle him.

should i just keep trying every 3 days until he eats? and any idea why he has suddenly gone like this?

thanks

To answer your question, no, you should not keep trying every 3 days. Doing so may stress out your snake and a stressed out snake will not eat. Wait at least 5 days in between attempts, maybe even 7 to give him time to relax. Also, do not handle him in between these feeding attempts.

As to why he's not eating; one thing which you already alluded to is the fact that he might be ready to shed. If that's the case then no biggie.

Has anything in his environment changed in between the time of him eating and him not eating? Temps change? Tank location change? Move stuff around in his cage?

There are so many different things that could cause a snake not to eat it's hard to say exactly what is going on with your guy. Just take the advice of the experienced members on this site and stay persistant.

AlexEarl
06-16-2010, 08:40 AM
oky thanks, nothings changed except sunday i will be moving him to another house 2 hours away, guess ill try feed him next tuesday. till then should i just leave him alone completely?

thanks for the help