PDA

View Full Version : Belly Head Source in a Wooden Enclosure

Belly Head Source in a Wooden Enclosure

danigurrl
06-18-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm a Veterinary Technician specializing in exotic medicine and care. I'm currently volunteering at a wildlife rescue facility. They have an adult male ball python (I know, not a cornsnake, sorry! But I have two corns at home if that makes up for it) who is in a very nice wooden enclosure with a plexy glass window in the front. However, he has no belly heat source. Only a heat lamp inside the enclosure and a UVB lamp for lighting. The max temperature get to only be about 80 in the enclosure.

I've asked the Director's permission to do something for the snake that's safe and easy to manage for tempertures. Low cost would be the best bet, since the facility is complete nonprofit and works from private donations and the Director's own money only. I'd probably do this out of my own pocket for the benefit of the snake.

What would be the best cost-effective way to get a source of belly heat into this wooden enclosure?

I was pondering some sort of slightly raised platform of slate or glass with a UTH attached to it underneath, but with adequate airflow space under it...but it has to be something the snake can't get under or flip.

I was also pondering a heatrock with a rheostat or thermostat, but a thermostat may be out of my pricerange and I'm not sure the facility could monitor the rheostat effectively all the time. Maybe?

Any other options or How-To's? I did a search on this site with a few different key words and I couldn't find anything, so please excuse my newbie-ness.

danigurrl
06-18-2010, 01:08 AM
The title should say "Belly HEAT Source*" not Belly Head Sourse. :nope: oops.

I should also add that I already have a brand new UTH I could use, whereas I should have to purchase a heat rock or any other options....but I'd still like to know of other possibilities.

azhketh
06-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Perhaps replace the heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter, and place a piece of slate or something similar directly underneath to help absorb and retain heat (just like a sun warmed rock in the wild)?

danigurrl
06-18-2010, 04:17 AM
Perhaps replace the heat lamp with a ceramic heat emitter, and place a piece of slate or something similar directly underneath to help absorb and retain heat (just like a sun warmed rock in the wild)?

Such a simple effective idea surpassed my mind! thanks! I think I'll definitely try this as a first approach!

Crimson.Dawn
06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Well if u do want to try a heat pad an a rheostat, u can get some supplies and do it all for less then 25$. as far as adjusting u only need to turn it once in the morning and then down very low at night. they dont need heat much at night and dont have it in the wild :)

Heres the rheostat
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93490

as for a head pad then u can put under a peice of slat, i would personal recommend porcelain tile, something small and cheep at a hardware store...it retains heat better and is much denser then slate. heavier too.
the pad u can get here, if u buy the insulator set they will wire it free, less work for u
http://www.reptilebasics.com/4-flexwatt-heat-tape.html i would buy a foot and get a 12x12 tile from lowes for around 1.50$ :)

Just some ideas to kick around. the heat lamp and tile are a good idea.. but those ceramic lamps ca cost a pretty penny. mine ran around 20$ at petsmart.