PDA

View Full Version : next size up?

next size up?

misskitty2881
06-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi all,

I have a 18 month old Anery, since i got him when he was about 8 months old i have been feeding him on pinkies, he would normally eat 2-3 per week. However over the last few month he has hardly been eating and just refuses his pinkies. I tried everything to get him to eat, all the usual stuff like temp in tank,hides etc nothing seemed to work and he would only eat 1-2 a month. So i tried him on the next size up from pinkies and he ate this straight away with no problem. Do they get bored with the same food and know when food is to small?

Nanci
06-19-2010, 02:55 PM
I retract my statement! That's what happens when you have multiple threads open at once!

I think some snakes definitely show a preference for food, but in my experience, it happens when they go to switch from fuzzies to hoppers and won't eat a mouse with hair!

I have a snake who wouldn't make the switch. So I fed him equivalent-sized rats. Now he's hooked on rats, but he _will_ eat weanling-mouse-sized rat pups! But I can't slit them, or he won't eat them...Sometimes you just have to figure out what they like.

cornsnakeforsale_com
06-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I think we're talking about pinkies to fuzzies or something larger. Recommendations vary, but he should be eating items that are about the thickness of his body around once a week. More, smaller items are more expensive and more of a hassle.

EsotericForest
06-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Seems like he should be on something larger than fuzzies. Mine didn't stay on hoppers long even before he was capable of handling small mice, and he's just about a year now. I guess it depends on each individual snake though. How many grams does your snake weigh right now?

wax32
06-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Now that you are feeding him mice with bones/hair his growth will explode.

Yvette
06-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Now that you are feeding him mice with bones/hair his growth will explode.

Pinky mice don't have bones?

EsotericForest
06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Well since pinkies aren't as developed, I imagine there is less actual calcium in their bones yet.

GothPixel
06-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Well since pinkies aren't as developed, I imagine there is less actual calcium in their bones yet.

Agreed. They will have mostly cartilage.

spud
06-28-2010, 01:23 PM
He probably should have been eating fuzzies quite a bit of time ago and should probably be eating at least hoppers by now. His weight and size will shoot up now he is getting more calcium and meat. I would suggest weighing him and having a look at the munson plan for an idea of what to feed and when.

misskitty2881
06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
thx all

I have a copy of the munson plan now and i will follow that. Thx for all your info.

EsotericForest
06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I might be a little of an extremist, but I would also suggest that right before each feeding you weigh your snake, and keep track of his weight on some form of chart. I made one on Microsoft Word with no problem, and I just update it weekly :).

GothPixel
06-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I might be a little of an extremist, but I would also suggest that right before each feeding you weigh your snake, and keep track of his weight on some form of chart. I made one on Microsoft Word with no problem, and I just update it weekly :).

I do the same thing as well, though in excel. Then you can manipulate the data in fun ways, like charting your snakes mass gain over time, or mass gained per week per prey type or...

Okay, so you all probably aren't that geeky. I'll stop there. :D

EsotericForest
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey, that sounds interesting to me. I have excel, I just don't really know how to use it properly. Don't tempt me ;).