• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding question

mugenjin

During my 1st feeding I presented the F/T mouse to my snake and he took it pretty quickly but it would be a lot simpler to drop the prey into the enclosure and then drop him in there after he's settled down from handling. Would let me clean his tank while he eats so he doesn't have to spend too much time in that separate enclosure.

Should I try that next time and just worry about presenting him the prey if he hasn't eaten it after 10 -15 minutes or so ?

Some snakes don't mind, some do. I'd give it a shot and see what happens. My snakes vary from one who doesn't care what's going on to the point where I could probably carry her around while she eats to one who is such a shy eater that I have to leave her alone in the dark or she won't touch her mouse.

Doesn't hurt to try and, like you say, you can always show it to him if he doesn't find it. I always assumed that everyone presented the prey to the snake on tongs or whatever, but some people actually do basically what you're saying. Some also feed in their viv and just leave the mouse in there on a plate for the snake to find.

Just be sure you wash your hands after handling the prey. You don't want to start handling your snake while you smell of mouse. Your fingers look enough like pinkies as it is. :)

Back