PDA

View Full Version : a little confused....

a little confused....

nicky
03-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Hey everyone:)
I was just sorta wondering. Well when i read all these posts, I sometimes see the ones about people ceaning cages and stuff like that. Anyway when I read that some people clean there cages every 3 weeks or so I was shocked:eek:. I had no idea. See I'm just medium new at corns i got mine last christmas from my mom either or i had done alot of research and i had come upon the fact that you where supposed to clean it every 2 months. Now with all the talk of every 2-4 weeks i'm wondering if I'm not providing my little baby with enough cleaness. Every 2nd month i take out everything and dienfect it but now I'm wondering am i not doing this right? :confused: ? I olny want the best for my corn so does anyone have any suggestions or is 2 months fine?:( If you know could you give me a basic outline of when to clean? I know how.
Thanks any help very greatly apprcaited!
:D :) :D

Kevin M
03-31-2002, 10:47 PM
Dont get too stressed. As a basic rule of thumb (And its just me I can speak for) I tend to change water every 2 days, Disinfect the bowls once a week. "refresh" the subtrate once a week and disenfect the cages once a month.

How often you clean and disenfect your water bowls/cages is totally based on how many snakes you own IMO. The less you have, The more attention you can pay.

And I dont wanna get off on a rant here but I find if you have a very alrge corn collection you can "put off" cleaning their enclosures for much longer using aspen shavings.

-Kev

Peter
03-31-2002, 11:05 PM
How much smell can you take? I try to scoop the poop out as soon as I spot it because the smell can be overpowering. Not so much with hatchlings but definately with adults. That's the nice thing about aspen, makes a nice clump to scoop out. It's true, the more snakes you have the longer you let it go. I have 34 corns and 4 ball pythons. I think the balls don't go as often and when they do, I don't notice a smell unless I get real close.

lynn
04-01-2002, 01:12 AM
I only have one snake so I have plenty of time for her. I give her clean water everyday and take out the poop as soon as she has done one because obviously not good for the snake to crawl around in it and boy does it smell. Came in from work one day, hubby had been up the garden I thought it was him that was smelling(manure) but no it was wilma. I also disinfect the tank and everything once a week at the moment but I have been told when she is in her last tank that it will only need disinfecting once a month. I can well understand why people have a lot of snake's though, there are so many beautiful colours, I dare not get another incase I cannot stop.:)

Simon
04-01-2002, 01:53 AM
Well I think that disinfecting everything once per 2 months is okay.......but anything longer than that I would think that it's horrible.

I put in fresh water every 2 days. Disinfect teh water bowl every week unless there is poop in the water bowl where I disinfect it right away. Scope the poop out whenever I see it. and give a total disinfection of everything every month. That is changing all the aspen bedding, disinfect the tank, the hide box, the water bowl, and branches.

But then since I am getting more and more addicted to them......I guess I have to start getting more racks and rubber made boxes to make cleaning easier......

Good luck and Happy Herping!

CornsnakeKeeper
04-01-2002, 06:26 AM
2 months seems a little long
try to do it a little more often but most of all
make sure there is always fresh water provided
the problem i have is... i dont know when theyve went because they do it under all of the bedding so in order to clean that, i have to redo the whole tank

nicky
04-01-2002, 09:17 AM
Hey you guy's i thought about what you said and from now I'm going to change the water every day instead of every second. Disenfect his cage every month instead of 2. That way I figure my corn will be happier.:cool: thanx again everyone!:) :) :)
take care

CornsnakeKeeper
04-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Glad to see that you've thought about it and are deciding to make a positive change. I think your snake/s will be happier.:D

Simon
04-01-2002, 02:39 PM
yes I think that is a better idea for you and your snake. It should be much happier.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Kevin M
04-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Good choice, nicky.

-Kev

nicky
04-01-2002, 08:08 PM
Hello again,
I just waned to thank simon, kevin, cornsnakekeeper, lynn & peter for giving me the advicE:) :D :cool:
see ya

oreo1700
02-02-2005, 09:52 PM
i clean any droppings right away by removing them and a lot of bedding around it. i have a filter in a small water tank in the viv so i just add fresh water. i do clean out the whole cage every 2 months or so.

KatieL
02-02-2005, 10:12 PM
just curious as to why you are replying to a thread that is almost 3 years old. Is my computer just showing the wrong dates? It seems that the last post was in 2002, is this right?