PDA

View Full Version : Shedding and when to feed?

Shedding and when to feed?

eric.owen
06-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a noob when it comes to corns so I'm asking questions about every little thing. I just want to make sure he's okay. :)

My corn is a baby, about 10 inches long or so. I brought him home on Saturday. I wasn't sure when he had eaten last, but the day I brought him home he pooped, so I figured he had eaten about 2 days or so prior to that. I tried to feed him yesterday and he wouldn't eat. When I got him on Saturday his eyes were slightly cloudy so I thought he was about to shed. I got him home and into his new habitat and the cloudy eyes went away. Well, I woke up this morning to find that he has shed during the night - completely in one piece. No cracks or broken pieces or anything. I'm thinking that's great!

So my questions are: 1) Is it normal or okay for him to shed without showing signs of shedding? And 2) When should I try to feed him again, and since he shed is that maybe why he wouldn't eat yesterday? Thanks to everyone for their help!!

GothPixel
06-29-2010, 08:11 AM
The cloudy eyes are a sign of shedding, but they clear up a day or two before the actual shed. You might have noticed your snake's colors are brighter after the shed than they were right before it.

It's normal for a snake not to eat while they are in shed. Some will eat right after they shed, some like to wait a day. If you want minimal chance of the food being rejected, wait a day from the shedding, then feed.

And welcome to the club!

Caryl
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Congratulations on your new baby, and on a good first shed!

Are you giving the baby time to settle in without being handled? Believe me, I know how tempting they are. There'll be years to play later. Be sure you give the little one at least 2-3 days (some advise 5-7) with no handling and no bother except for changing his water. Snakes are territorial and need to feel safely at home for best feeding and health. We'll look forward to pictures once he's settled again.

Again, welcome!

eric.owen
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Thank you both for your kind words and advice. :) I was very happy with the first shed - glad he's healthy. I'll wait until tomorrow then try to feed him a pinky.

And yes, I've kept the handling to a minimum. Only when I changed his bedding to the Aspen (which he loved by the way :) - he burrowed immediately). I'll give it 4 days or so before I try to handle him again. I want him to be comfortable. I took two pictures with him on my hand when I changed his bedding - here he is (isn't he cute?):

xanthiax
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Nice baby corn, good luck with it!

Caryl
06-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes, he's adorable! I'm sure you're going to enjoy him.

Bartholomew
06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Everyone gave you great advice. And your corn looks very nice. Congrats, and welcome!

EsotericForest
06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Some corn snakes are better with eating than others. When I first got my corn, he had gone blue, and he accepted a meal with no problem anyway. Usually now though I wait a day after his shed.

Nice looking little corn. Congrats :)

Dinah
06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
We have a snow corn snake so it is really hard for us to tell when she is in blue. Sometimes we think me might see signs and we will keep a close eye looking for the shed skin every morning until it shows up, and other times we are completely surprised to see a shed in the tank one morning randomly. I keep a log of all of Zelda's feedings and sheds so now that we have had her for a while I know generally speaking when to expect one. But since we have the darndest time figuring out when she is in blue we just offer her food when it is scheduled. I know some snakes will refuse but she has never refused and it has never effected her badly. When it was time to bump her up to double pinks I was worried about giving her a big meal while she was in blue or about to shed, so I waited 2 feedings to bump her up to the bigger food just so I could do the bump right after her shed, so I wouldn't have to worry about her digesting a bigger food and trying to shed at the same time.

Have fun with your new baby once you get him all settled in. I am sure you will enjoy having a corn snake. Since we have gotten Zelda I have started telling people that having a snake is one of the best pets I have ever had.