PDA

View Full Version : How old?

How old?

kellyjones
06-10-2002, 10:20 AM
At what age do corns become mature enough to breed? How will I know if she is ready? My male is 4. Is he going to be to big for her? Shall I wait?

Katie
06-10-2002, 11:05 AM
I don't think that breeding is as much an age thing as it is a size thing. How long is your female and what does she weigh? How old is she? I think some people try to breed their females at 2 years (after power feeding those entire 2 years) but alot of females are still too small then and it's dangerous. I would say 3 years and a good size (nearly full grown) to be on the safe side. As for the male being too big for her, he won't be if she's big enough to breed.

kellyjones
06-10-2002, 11:46 AM
Thanks Katie. I dont want to breed them yet. The female is far to small. She is not even 1 yet but I was just interested as to when she will mature.

Jimmy C.
06-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey Kelly,
Do you have them in the same enclosure? If you do, you know nature will take it's course;)
Take care,
Jimmy

Katie
06-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Yes, what is posted above is true. If you have them in the same cage they will breed and if the female is too small (a year is WAYYYY too small!) it will hurt or kill her. I wouldn't house corns with that kind of a size difference in the same enclosure anyway. You don't have them in the same enclosure do you?

Jayde
06-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Normally you can tell that a snake is sexually mature when they start to get yellow pigment around the nose, mouth and neck. Only snakes like Anerthystic-Type B (sp?) or Blood corns...I'm not sure but I don't think Blizzard corns go yellow either.

Tim Madsen
06-10-2002, 11:06 PM
Cornsnakes become sexually mature at about 32 inches. It is best not to breed females until they reach 36 inches. I normally don't breed my females until they reach 40 inches.

kellyjones
06-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone. They are not in the same enclosure. I dont believe in sex before marriage;)