PDA

View Full Version : Is This Tub Appropriate?

Is This Tub Appropriate?

soccer191
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I am a bit limited on space and budget, and decided to make a tub for the corn snake that I will soon own. The goal of it is not to be pretty ;), but to be cheap and functional. The pictures are attached.

The tub itself is a 90 qt sterilite, with dimensions of 30 L x 12 W x 12 H. I like to have it taller than a standard snake rack tub, because I've seen plenty of terrestrial species utilize small climbing branches. I also prefer to use lights to heat the enclosures, so the height makes this possible. The 2 pieces of wood on the lid hold the light far enough away for the perfect temperature. I will switch over to aspen whenever I go out to the pet store again.

P.S. How tight can your average adult corn snake curl up in its hide? The coffee container was just laying around, so I turned it into a hide. I'm thinking that it is too small, but it was worth a try!

What do you guys think of it?

wstphal
07-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Looks very functional & comfortable. You will read that most of us emphasize belly heat, but if you have had experience keeping cornsnakes with lights, well & good. The coffee can hide will be too big for a baby but suitable for larger snakes, they like to smoosh themselves into hides that are almost too small.

Arpolis
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
That seems to look fine. I have a 360+g Snow in a container just like that. It is a Sterilite Tub with the locking lids and two 1" binder clips on the sides. Its demensions are 34" X 19" X 7" & only 57L. I use a UTH heater because it saves a lot of space and better for cornsnakes. She is very active and loves the tank it seems. I would have to do some digging to find other pics but here is one with her in it.

Dreamsnake
07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I've heard that red eyed snakes are sensitive to heat lights as well. My newest corn is an '09 and he still fits into the toilet paper rolls. It' so much easier to pick up the roll and slide the snake out rather than chase him around the tank.

1TimeMoM
07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
LoL Whiskey is a year and a month and he still half way fits in his toilet paper rolls LoL.. I wont tell the poor child he cant go in it anymore LoL.. You will be suprised what they can fit into...