PDA

View Full Version : Just a question about eating...

Just a question about eating...

eric.owen
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Hello,

I just had a quick question to anyone who might be able to help. When it's time to feed Alfredo, I thaw the pinkie mouse and drop it in his home. Today he went for it about 10 minutes after I dropped it in there, but I noticed that a lot of the aspen shavings got stuck to the pinkie. He's swallowing it with the shavings, of course, but will those hurt him? Is there a better way to feed him the pinkie mouse? Maybe put it on top of one of his hides so that the he doesn't swallow the shavings, too? Thanks everyone!

Dorgrim
07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
yes, the shavings are bad for them to ingest, you should ideally feed them in a different container where they can be monitored as well as taught not to bite at things that come in to the viv. if you insist on feeding in the viv, put the mouse in a bowl or on a plate that can be placed in there to keep the bedding off.

keep an eye on your snake now too, eating bedding can cause impaction and a lot of damage. Check in on your snakes poop in a few days to make sure the wood chips come out smoothly and there is no blood in the fecal matter. worst comes worst, alfredo wont poop at all, then it will be warm water and a trip to the vet time.

dont feed on bedding :P its a bad idea and can cause issues.
Try to get in the habit on feeding them in or on a bedding/debris free surface

eric.owen
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Thank you so much. I figured it couldn't be good for the little guy. He's curled up under his hide right now. I'll look at his poop when he poops and make sure it's normal. I'll check his body, too, and hopefully I don't see anything poking out. I mean the shavings are small (relatively, to what he was eating) so hopefully he can pass them this time and I'll change the way I feed him next time. Is there any behavior differences I should be on the lookout for? Thanks for your response!

K. Rene
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Of course there is a better way! I'm so glad you asked. Most of us feed our snakes in a separate empty container. I use clear plastic sterelite shoe box containers with lids. I put the pinky in the container then get out the snake from it's viv., then put it in with the pinky and put on the lid. Once the snake eats try to handle it as little as possible to return it to it's viv.

Yes aspen can hurt them. A few months back a member posted a pic of their little snake that got a piece of aspen lodged in it's throat. I don't remember the outcome of that situation but obviously it's something that can be prevented. That's why we use the empty containers.

eric.owen
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Okay well I will definitely do that, then. Hopefully Alfredo and I will get lucky this time. :awcrap: I hope he'll be okay...

starsevol
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I echo what the others have said....or at least use a paper plate ....
Alfredo..what a cute name !!

Dorgrim
07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I echo what the others have said....or at least use a paper plate ....
Alfredo..what a cute name !!

i agree! I hope its got some butter :P

delish!

eric.owen
07-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Haha thanks everyone!! :)