PDA

View Full Version : My corn wont eat ?? but the other will ?

My corn wont eat ?? but the other will ?

Grant.
07-13-2010, 06:34 AM
Okay so ive got two corns, both in the same vivarium, Both bought together, One feeds really well and the other doesnt, the one that feeds well has ate every feed i have given him, The other ate his first feed, then missed a feed due to shetting, then ate another feed, then missed a feed, then ate one of his two pinkies, then never ate once more, I feed them every friday.

Nanci
07-13-2010, 06:54 AM
You need to separate them. They are stressed from cohabitating.

Tr1gg0r
07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
As many experience corn keepers are likely to tell you very shortly, this could well be due to co-habbing. It looks as if one of the snakes is ok with the situation, and the other one is stressed.

Co-habbing can lead to all sorts of problems with corn snakes, and the fact that one of the two is eating regularly (otherwise healthy as well?) is quite lucky to be honest.

If you can seperate them, I'd reccomend it, you may find that the non-eater will relax and start to eat again when it's on it's own.

Grant.
07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
As many experience corn keepers are likely to tell you very shortly, this could well be due to co-habbing. It looks as if one of the snakes is ok with the situation, and the other one is stressed.

Co-habbing can lead to all sorts of problems with corn snakes, and the fact that one of the two is eating regularly (otherwise healthy as well?) is quite lucky to be honest.

If you can seperate them, I'd reccomend it, you may find that the non-eater will relax and start to eat again when it's on it's own.

Thanks for all your help, it was the petshop i bought them off that said that they are normally better with two snakes so they dont get lonely

Tr1gg0r
07-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all your help, it was the petshop i bought them off that said that they are normally better with two snakes so they dont get lonely

I've had problems with the shops here in the UK aswell... they just don't seem to do their homework. It's all about profits, they don't care about the health of the snakes unfortunately :nope:.

If you have got the room for another vivarium then I'd get one. If not then I'd probably take the non-eater back to the petshop. They might not give you your money back but to be honest that snake will probably die if you don't get it out of that tank within a few weeks.

bkelm18
07-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Giving human traits to simple minded animals such as reptiles is a time honored tradition. Snakes do not get lonely and they do not enjoy the company of other snakes. Yours is most likely a classic example of why you should not keep more than one snake in the same viv. Good on you for asking here though, so now hopefully it can get straightened out and get him eating again.

bitsy
07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
the petshop i bought them off that said that they are normally better with two snakes so they dont get lonely
I think the pet shop just saw a chance to sell two snakes instead of one! Have to agree with comments above - Corns are solitary in the wild. Separating them should help your non-feeder.

abell82
07-13-2010, 08:23 PM
If one is eating and the other is not, the one eating will get much bigger then the other quickly, and then it will eat the other. It may or may not survive this. Corns may not be as well known for doing this as Kingsnakes, but they will do it.