• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

concerns about new corn

adorkable

Ok, i was dumb and bought my snake from petco, which i understand is not the wisest choice. especially since when i bought him, there was a dead snake in the cage with the others.....
but i had my heart set on him, and reservations aside, purchased him anyway. he has a wonderful personality, very curious and relaxed. he's a candy cane i believe. but now on to the potential problems:
-being as he is so small and pale, he's kinda see-through. he has a dark spot inside about 2/3 down his body. i doesn't feel any different than any other part of his body, and doesn't seem to be a blockage as he is continuing to poo. is it organs? doesn't seem to be part of a meal, cause it's staying in the same place.
-i checked on him today to see how he was doing, and he has what looks like little tears on the skin of his underbelly on 4 scales. should i be worried? dry skin? nearing a shed? his eyes are clear so it doesn't look like he's getting ready to, but i notice his belly scales have kinda a rainbow sheen to them. is that a sign for shedding or is that normal? see, i'm ignorant and i feel like a dumbass. kinda concerned about dehydration, as i've never seen him drink, but i keep his water bowl filled and clean and change water daily.
-i bought him on 7/8 and the pet store guy said he was going to be fed that night, so when i got him home, i fed him. no problems there. i attempted to feed again on 7/12 as i had read that babies could be fed twice a week, but he regurged. did i feed too soon? i followed the advice on the forum and am waiting till next tuesday to offer him a f/t pinky head...the waiting sucks though, i'm worried about my lil squee. i'll be posting pics of him, it will be difficult to see what i'm refering to though because he's so small.

about his set up:
he's in a 10 gallon tank with UTH on one side. he has 1 hide right now, but prefers to either burrow or just chill in the corner.

100_0198.jpg

sorry for the bad photo, best i could get. the dark spot i was talking about is near my thumb. sorta just looks like a shadow in the pic.

You little amel is a cutie :) The irridecenct belly (rainbow) is normal, pretty neat isn't it. That isn't a sign that he is going to shed though. Most color morphs you can tell when the snake is in 'blue' (the pre-shed phase) because their color is duller and their eyes look like they have a milky film over them.

As for the dark spots on the scales, I guess it could be burn marks, if the UTH is right up against the glass on the bottom it could be too hot. Idk what mites look like and I hope that it isn't those because I have heard they are hard to git rid of, but I highly doubt that's what they are.

As for the 'dark spot' you can see inside him. It could very well be an organ. Heart, lung etc. I can see them on a few of my snakes too, and sometimes you can see the fecal matter building up in there too. It's nothing to worry about. If you followed the plan for after a regurge you did the right thing, your new baby is probably just getting used to his new home.

Haha did they just not see the dead snake in the cage? But anyway, I purchased my little Eve from Petco as well. As for the "tears" in his belly scales, were they there went you first got him? Maybe there was a rouch spot in the store's communal viv that he kept dragging them over. I would keep an eye on it but not worry too much. And with mine, I feed her every 5 days, at first things are kind of rocky but I adjusted her temps and now she's well on the path to being a regular. And

About your temps, you may have this already and just not mentioned it, but, you will most likely need at least a cheap lamp dimmer (I got mine at lowe's for like $12) to reduce the amount of electricity being supplied to the uth. The temps could have been what made him regurg, or it could have just been stress. Here's something you can try, the next time you run out of paper towels, take the cardboard tube thingy, cut out a strip from the bottom and cut out a tiny semicircle from the side so the snake can get in and out and put it in there. Mine burrowed under her bedding until I put that in there and then she started staying in there.

Last thing: Your snake is a cutie :3 I absolutely love mine to death, and I understand about having to wait so long to do each little thing and getting anxious. You must learn to be as the frog in the silent pond, young one.

lol, thanks jif. the tears on him belly weren't there when i got him, i think it may have been from one of his hides. it's one of those logs and the bark on top is a bit ragged. i scrubbed it and and got some of the excess bark off so it's less rough. i'm also misting the tank now, i had neglected to do that before, so that might help.
also, thanks for the idea about the dimmer switch, i'm thinking the warm area may be too warm. he doesn't really hang out there. i think my father-in-law has one of those laser thermometers, i'll check and use that to get the temps.
and all the waiting and watching is driving me nuts. i just want my little Squee to be ok.

That really is a terrible picture. I would prefer a better picture. It may be retained shed from his previous shed, but I really can't tell from that picture.What do the blly checkers look like in that arae as compared to the rest?are they the same color, or faded?

i know it's terrible. sorry, but my camera sucks. if i can get someone else to hold him, i might fair better. belly scales in the area look the same, no dullness, just his lovely iridescence.

also, checked the temps, and the UTH is WAY too hot. 110 degrees....O_O that's now unplugged. with the summer heat, it's about 75-80 in here, so he should be fine till i get a dimmer i can hook up to that.

If the tears aren't very long and don't seem to be discolored or anything, I'd assume he's fine. Occasionally those things happen. If it's nothing serious, it will likely go away with a few sheds.

As for the dark spot, K. Rene is right. It is an organ. The gallbladder is pretty evident in most young snakes, as their scales are the most translucent then. It's especially visible in those with albinism, or other lacking pigments. When they die it sort of ruptures, or at any rate leaks fluid, and the area becomes bright green.

I hope your little guy makes it through the regurges. Good luck!

Also, I don't really think you need to "mist" the tank. If the climate isn't particularly dry, he probably won't need it. Most likely if it is too dry, you'll see him spending a lot of his time in the water dish.

Back