PDA

View Full Version : Cornelius is on hunger strike - when should I attempt to feed again?

Cornelius is on hunger strike - when should I attempt to feed again?

TrixiTripp
07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
My male Sunglow Motley, Cornelius, has always been the "perfect" eater. He is 40" long this year and I have come to motherly terms that my baby boy snake is now a mature man snake. He has decided to refuse his latest food offering (which is a F/T hopper) and at his last feeding he was less than thrilled about his mouse for few minutes before he decided to eat. He has been cruising around his cage non-stop for over a month now! Cornelius is acting like what sounds like a typical male snake during breeding season. I'm ok with him deciding to look for a mate (in vain) instead of eating on his normal schedule, so my question is when should I try to feed him again? I know a little fast never hurts anyone but I would like to avoid wasting mice by defrosting them and then having him refuse them as much as possible. Cornelius is a very healthy snake and his weight looks perfect. His temps are at 85 on the warm side, 72 on the cool side. I always feed him in his designated feeding tank about every 8-10 days. We had a good routine going - until his hormones kicked in!:D

I don't usually post things here because I can always find my answers in previous threads - but this one escaped me. Thanks for reading my rambling question, I knew most of you would understand.

-Trixi

desertanimal
07-18-2010, 09:36 PM
I also hate wasting mice. When I have males refuse during breeding season and they are in good health, I don't offer again for a month.

TrixiTripp
07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
That sounds like a good plan. Thanks!

Nanci
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Or you could buy a second snake...(Back-up!)

wstphal
07-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Get a kingsnake!

TrixiTripp
07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Haha, I just bought my second snake last month! She's a baby Okeetee who needs more tending to than my boy. She's in the blue right now so she's no fun since I'm leaving her be. But yes, clearly I just need more snakes...:p