PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps off topic but...

Perhaps off topic but...

Neumann
02-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Are Corns exceptionally healthy snakes or...?

The reason I ask is that I have been thinking about a BP in a year or so when I free up some cage space. Anyway, I have been frequenting a couple of BP forums and I have read a lot of health issue topics. RI's and poor sheds (eye caps) seem to be very common in addition to the well documented feeding problems of Python regius.

This forum has a boat load more posting activity and doesn't seem to have as many postings regarding unhealthy Corns. Are Corns just healthier animals or are they just more tolerent of poorly conducted (novice) keeper skills?

Cheers,
Jason

Skye
02-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Some snakes are much easier to maintain healthily in captivity than others.

Balls are notorious for refusing to eat for long periods. Some snakes are very susceptible to R.I.'s, others to thermal burns.

Some snakes are very intolerant of slight changes in temperatures and humidity from their preferred optimum ranges.

We are very lucky that corns are so beautiful and so un-fussy,

Skye

Alicia
02-13-2004, 02:27 PM
I keep BPs and have never had any problems with RI. But many seem to. I have a friend that lost 2 in the same year due to RIs. The thing is their requirements are different then corns. They need more humidity and higher heat. I have a 90-95 degree spot for mine and keep their humidity at 75%. Corns are very healthy and much more tolerant of variations. I hardly ever worry about my corns but I watch my BPs carefully for any sign of illness or stress. BPs are great I love mine. Their names are Baby & Bubba.

rachel132002
02-14-2004, 07:47 AM
I have 2corns, 1royal python and 1boa all of which I'd reccomend to anyone.

I bought my royal at around 14" in december eating a medium mouse a week and he is now on 2a week and 22", I have had NO problem with him although mine will only eat his food if it's under his hide but that's no prob. He's kept at 90d.f by day 85d.f by night has 65-80%humidity and a water bowl he can soak in, he's already in a 3ft vivarium with heat mat (some people prefer ceramics), he's a noisy git at night who loves to climb anf go splat on the floor and do it about 20times along with other antics to keep me awake but they're FULLY worth it!

If you want anythin else to do with royals, corns or boa feel free to catch me on msn or pm me or somethin all my stuff's on profile

Rachel