PDA

View Full Version : Safe Heat Rocks?

Safe Heat Rocks?

wstphal
07-31-2010, 12:18 AM
I was surfing eBay. There are LOTS of heat rocks there. I came up with 2 ideas I want to ask the DIYers.

Would a snake enjoy a heat rock if it was on a t-stat or dimmer so that the temperature was a nice 84F?

What about "building" a heated "rock" out of heat cable, ceramic tile & cement, with a thermometer probe built in so you can adjust the temperature?

Any thoughts?

Sweetseraph
07-31-2010, 12:26 AM
I had the same idea, where you just put a heat rock on a dimmer, but then I read that the issue with them is that they get hot spots and cool spots and you could be taking the temp at a cooler spot.

Stormy
07-31-2010, 12:31 AM
I think they would get hot and cool spots because the thickness of the material over the heater is different in different areas of the rock. They started out as a good idea for the huge companies that make reptile products and so many people that don't know any better do buy them but I wouldnt trust one even if it was on something to control its temp.

wstphal
07-31-2010, 12:33 AM
So commercial rocks would NOT work. What about building something interesting looking & using a temp gun to find the hottest spot on it and using that value to control the heat?

Stormy
07-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Well are you wanting these as your heat source or just for looks?
Its really up to you in the end if you want to try these out. I just know that I wouldn't trust them.

wstphal
07-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Just to build something my snake might enjoy & might look nice. I like the idea of building a rock structure or tile structure for my snake to enjoy and I thought adding a little heating might make it more enjoyable for the snake.

Ivorzz5
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
NO. never use heat rocks, your snake may die or get 1 2 or 3 degree burns. It doesn't matter whether they are home made or not. NEVER USE THEM!!!

bitsy
08-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Have you had a bad experience with heat rocks, Ivorzz5?

charlie1
08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
before I knew better I had a heat rock for my king. He lived 15 years and never got burned or had any other problem. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Ivorzz5
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
No, I haven't but I have read alot about them amd I beleive it can do damage. But If some people have had good experiences with them then I might give it a try!

wstphal
08-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Well, I had this brain wave that I could build a safe rock out of roof slates & heat tape & put it on a t-stat & make sure the warmest part was no more than 85F & that it would look nice & be pleasant for a cornsnake because they go onto roads in the evening to soak up the heat from the road. I don't know for sure if it's do-able but it seemed to me with a temp gun & care I could make sure the hottest spot on it was safely regulated before allowing a snake to try it out. I have 2 snakes in big glass vivs and I thought one of them might like this idea.

Ivorzz5
08-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Well, I had this brain wave that I could build a safe rock out of roof slates & heat tape & put it on a t-stat & make sure the warmest part was no more than 85F & that it would look nice & be pleasant for a cornsnake because they go onto roads in the evening to soak up the heat from the road. I don't know for sure if it's do-able but it seemed to me with a temp gun & care I could make sure the hottest spot on it was safely regulated before allowing a snake to try it out. I have 2 snakes in big glass vivs and I thought one of them might like this idea.

Really cool Idea!:idea:

whippet
08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Another problem to consider is the cord. You have to be able to get the cord out of the cage and if you are using a tank or plastic tub that means making a hole. Making a hole means you are making an escape route. Keep that well in mind.
Personally I would not do it. There is no reason to. If you want a basking rock you can make one...it doesn't need to be heated. Corns are not going to sit out and be visible for the most part anyway. *shrugs*

wstphal
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Another problem to consider is the cord. You have to be able to get the cord out of the cage and if you are using a tank or plastic tub that means making a hole. Making a hole means you are making an escape route. Keep that well in mind.
Personally I would not do it. There is no reason to. If you want a basking rock you can make one...it doesn't need to be heated. Corns are not going to sit out and be visible for the most part anyway. *shrugs*

That's one of the issues I haven't solved. I was planning this rock for Icabod, an adult male who LIKES to lie around in the open, so I figured a tiny hole that was then filled around the cord with aquarium cement ~might~ be OK.

But I'm just fooling around with the idea, inspired by lizard vivs and Icabod's tendency to lie on top of things instead of in them.

Stormy
08-12-2010, 10:46 AM

This isnt necessarily true. You could drill a tiny hole the size of the cord for it to go through then splice the wires and put them back together on the outer part of the tank/tub. The Bean Farm sells stuff to do this with in the section they have for heat tape. No way an adult corn would be able to escape that small hole. And some corns do like to be out and visible where they can see everyone. I have a few like this who have to see everything going on. Infact even though its the middle of the day two are watching me right now.