PDA

View Full Version : Is this snake mites?!?!! :[

Is this snake mites?!?!! :[

Flweep
07-31-2010, 02:03 AM
OKKK.
So i noticed my snake soaking. I thought he was gonna shed and I asked around if they normally soak, and some people said if there's black dots in the water it could be snake mites.

Ok, so. After I saw him soaking I changed his water. I didn't notice any black dots or anything when I changed it but I could have ignored it I guess. Then he was scared and went back into his hide. I came back in about half an hour later and I noticed two black little specks in his water. So I freaked. I'm still kinda freaking out. Now, I picked it up and rubbed it between my fingers and it just kinda flaked off, no smears like blood or anything. It was just a flat little flake. and it just kinda turned into little mini flakes and i washed it off of my hand.
Ok, so is it mites or dirt? He's just a baby, about a month old, and I just got him so I can't like pick him up and examine him. But I did lift his hide off of him. I didn't notice anything really. Just some dark red dots on the top of his eyes and head. They weren't moving or anything. They are in the same exact places above his eyes and then there's 3 on top of his head. I'm thinking this is just his coloring? But i watched them for at least a minute straight and they did not move at ALL.

So is this snake mites? I am so freaking out right now because this is my FIRST snake ever, and I don't want to lose him or have him infected by some stupid little creepy things that suck his blood.
Also I was swimming in my pool today, and black specks of dirt get in there, and stuck on my body. The specks I found look just like the ones that get stuck on my skin after I swim. I was wondering if those could have gotten from me to his water bowl. ( I have bracelets and stuff where it could have fallen from) Because I don't think he'd come out after I startled him when he was soaking (Knocked a book off the shelf and made a big noise..) Because I've startled hiim when he was out and he didnt come out until at least the next day (i'm pretty sure, he's mostly hiding but comes out for a while in the evenings)

If they are mites, do you think it might have come from the aspen? It's the kind we use for my brothers gerbils (My mom refused to get new aspen). I just dont know....

Ok, sorry, but I'm just freaking out, when I first saw those dots I felt like I was gonna explode. He's just a baby and I'm so worried for him. GAHSDJFHKDSJ.

So, does it sound like mites? should I pick up my snake and examine him more? He's just a baby and I got him tuesday morning. I don't want to stress him out. If I do, Where do I look? and How do I treat them?

GAHHHH D:

Flweep
07-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Ok so the markings on his head are his coloring. I'm very sure of it.
Im looking at the pictures from the day I got him and they are in the exact same spot.

srheskjhfsdk; SIGHHH.

snakewispera snr
07-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Take a breath for God sake... Phew.
Mites look like poppy seeds in the water dish, and if you stare at them on your snake..... They move..
It sounds like dust to me, mate.
Just keep an eye on it for a while and see if any more show up.

dickdeuel
07-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Mites in the water look like round grains of black pepper. Pick the snake up and look closely at it. If there are mites then there will be black adults moving around on the snakes body or smaller ones around the eyes. You may need a magnifying glass. Mites can kill a baby snake in a short time.

If you do have mites or want a preventive measure for the future, get a can of "Provent-a-mite" and follow the directions.