PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Is this normal?

Yvette
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
My snake is about to shed, probably tonight, and today I saw that where he is coiled his skin is wrinkly. Is this normal? I have never seen this before, but I also leave my snake alone when it is shedding.

airenlow
07-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Yep, fairly normal. A humid hide will help loosen that skin up a little.

Yvette
07-31-2010, 10:01 PM
McBeth had his first bad shed. I saw him pushing his face on the glass to take off the skin. A few minutes later I went back and saw his face and neck skin, but nothing else. I lifted his hide and his skin was shredded! It was seriously the worst shed I have ever seen! I got two socks wet with warm water, put them on my hands and let him slither on my hands. It took half an hour to take off his skin. I feel so bad. Now that the skin is off, is he going to be okay?

WingedSweetheart
07-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, he will be ok as long as you got all the skin off. Make sure to check the tip of his tail and eye caps. It can be hard to miss those. But he will be fine. Next time he gets ready to shed you might want to mist him and his cage a little bit. Some people suggest a damp hide. But my snakes won't touch a damp hide so I end up having to spray them with a little water a few times. I just use a cheap plastic water bottle that you use to either spray your hair or plants with from the dollar store. I use room temp water so it doesn't freak them out too much.

Yvette
07-31-2010, 11:29 PM
So I made sure all his skin came off...it did. But I just put him on my bed, and he is beautiful! He is bright red and orange now, where he used to be brownish (He's a normal). I want to post pictures, but I lost my camera. I hope these colors stay :)

Bartholomew
08-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Its good that you got all the skin off. I think thats the best part; looking at the stunning colors your snake has after the shed. Its great!