• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new baby wont eat, help!

xreinx

What am I doing wrong?
I started the other two on frozen pinkies, first one took it in a heartbeat, I waited two days, during witch the second had a shed, and offered the second one another frozen (properly thawed like normal) she took it and packed it around her feeding cage for a cupple of laps before she settled down to eat it, still nothing out of the third.
yesterday I thawed one in chicken broth, Nothing! What am I doing wrong?! (the second ate the mouse when I dropped it into her tank) its been two weeks! shes NOT eating! im terrifed.

OK calm down...and breathe....
there are alot of things you can try.
You tried the chicken broth...good.

You can try...
washing the pinky in soap and rinsing...
making sure the pinky is really really hot....
tease feeding....
scenting with Kentucky fried chicken, tuna juice, earthworms, and anoles.
and sadly trying live...

are you leaving the baby alone with the meal?
Feeding at night? (they are more apt to feed at night)
Feeding in a seperate container?
Covering the container?

I did the feeding in her tiny jar at night when I did the chicken broth, and all the pinkies are Really hot at the beganning,(mostly vary warm to the touch) and yes, it was covered in a corner, away from any light. (just before I went to bed) and was vary disappointed to find her still under her wad of paper, hiding from the pinky in the morning.
Ill try the tuna juice next and she struk at the tease feeding, but after the first bite, she spit it out and turned tail and fled. (Has had this problem with all the Okeetee abbots Ive gotten accually)

I have never been good at tease feeding but Susan is really good at it.
She might have some tips for you.

I am usually really good at getting picky snakes to eat, I had a VARY picky bloodred, (before house setter "forgot" to water the snakes, for an entire month) wouldent take dead mice without tease feeding. and where I lived, I couldent get live, it all had to be frozen.

Ive never had a "Nonfeeder" before, Ive had plunty of Difficult feeders, and Ive done the assist feed a few times with my bloodred before it passed. but Never that far, I just held him and poked the nose into his mouth, (after a month of not eating) and he would go from there.. for some reason he was FINE once his mouth was on the head. Im scared, but I .. dont want to lose this snake. shes a beauty.

Back