PDA

View Full Version : Snake covered in sticky grease, now acting strange!

Snake covered in sticky grease, now acting strange!

owstopit
08-07-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a problem with my snake. I was handling him when he began to crawl quickly toward the underside of a swivel chair I was sitting it. I didn't realize that my snake could actually go "inside" the swivel chair, but I realized it too late, and couldn't get my snake out from inside the chair for a good 30mins to an hour. When he finally emerged, he was covered in sticky black grease, it is essentially the same stuff that you'll find on the chain of your bicycle.

I was very worried, and tried my best to clean him off. I got pretty much all of it off by washing him with a small amount of dish soap. I was trying not to get too much near his eyes, though I thought maybe since the eyes are covered they'd be ok.

Anyways, I finally got him clean (he didn't enjoy it) and just observed him for a moment to see if he was doing alright. Unfortunately I noticed the following after this terrible event:

-He is wheezing a bit now, not sure if that is a result of the water on his face/near his nose

-Opening his mouth in a somewhat odd way (he normally never opens his mouth at all)

-He's now rubbing his nose against the glass of his tank.

I'm not sure if I need to be alarmed or not. This literally just happened about 30 minutes ago. I hope he improves, and I plan to take him to the vet regardless. Any advice or idea what's going on? Thank you in advance, I'm worried about my poor snake!

oneirogenesis
08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Something respiratory is going on. The best case scenario is that he just inhaled some water while you were cleaning him and he's now clearing out his airway. Did any of the grease get on his face and maybe block up his nostrils? Keeping an eye on him and booking a vet visit is what I would do. I'd also try to keep him warm, dry and well-ventilated to help him breathe.

I'm sure some more experienced members will jump in with better advice. You and your little snake have my sympathy and best wishes for a quick recovery!

Naagas
08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't worry too much yet. He is probably just trying to clear his lungs out after the impromptu bath.
The rubbing is probably because his skin feels/felt weird.

wretchedprocess
08-07-2010, 03:32 PM
They do tend to wheeze a little bit after they've been cold and damp for a while. But yes, definitely keep an eye on him!

owstopit
08-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses! I am happy to report that as of this morning, the little guy is active and completely grease free! Also not hearing anymore wheezing (so far)! I am probably not going to take him in unless I notice more strange behavior. That really scared me for a bit there! Watching him slither out of there COVERED in black sticky goo was not fun :(

But all's well that ends well! I guess I'm just glad to know that it's possible for him to climb inside of my office chair! HA! Thanks again everyone, I'll keep you updated if anything changes :) Here's a nice picture of him if anyone's curious:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2710/4363482932_8a83b5eb28.jpg

SnakeAround
08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Happy to hear your snakelet is doing well!

Bartholomew
08-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Very pretty snake! Glad you got him out of that sticky stiuation ;)

Lolo
08-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Glad he's doing better! :) A few of my snakes wheeze during baths (which are rarely given), so I agree it was probably just the water... definitely keep a close eye on him, though, for at least the next week.

P.S. He's a pretty boy!!