PDA

View Full Version : can I feed them more?

can I feed them more?

Interested
02-17-2004, 09:31 AM
if you read my update in the "first feeding" thread, you know my little babies ate wonderfully, and that Penny seemed to REALLY want another pinky. She looks like she can handle it, so next time I feed them can I give her 2? And Flick, who is bigger than Penny and Rocko, seems like he can eat 3 fuzzies instead of 2. Should I just stick to what they are eating right now for a while? What exactly is powerfeeding anyway, I cant really seem to get a clear definition....

CAV
02-17-2004, 10:10 AM
There isn't really a clear-cut definition of power feeding. It is the act of stuffing your corn full of food, above and beyond what is required for normal growth and metabolic activities. Does that mean one or three food items? Who knows? The quantity of food is subjective at best. As a rule of thumb, I personally believe that feeding a snake more frequently than every 3-4 days (once they are eating at least fuzzy sized mice) could be considered power feeding.

Instead of feeding 2-3 mice per feeding, I would recommend moving up to a larger prey size. If a corn can handle 2 fuzzies, then it should easily handle a hopper or even a small adult mouse.

Interested
02-17-2004, 10:34 AM
ok, I will try Flick on a hopper next feeding. With the little ones, should I attempt to feed them again in a day or so? I dont think they are quite big enough to eat fuzzies but I think they can definitly handle 2 oinks at once, or a pink every 2 days. Which would be better?

CAV
02-17-2004, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't feed again before the snake poops. You are simply adding more food in the snake's stomach before the previous meal is digested. This can easily lead to regurges.