PDA

View Full Version : On the Menu - Dwarf Hamster Pinks

On the Menu - Dwarf Hamster Pinks

dionythicus
08-22-2010, 01:01 AM
I have two stubborn feeders from this year who have only eaten live once since hatching in June. It's been a pain to track down live day old pinks. I'm going to breed a few of my own mice again, but in the meantime, I was able to get ahold of a couple day old dwarf hamster pinks today. I thought, what the hell, either they'll eat them or they won't. Both hatchlings gobbled up the hamster pinks, but not until they had looked up at me like, "You mean I had a choice? I would have ordered hamster the first time!". Fortunately, they've eaten mouse pinks, too, because I am not breeding hamsters. I hate them. LOL I'll be getting mice tomorrow.

Christen
08-22-2010, 02:16 AM
That is awesome!! Where did you find hampster pinky's? I have a couple babies that I need smaller than day old pinky's and I have not been able to find them.

dionythicus
08-22-2010, 11:38 AM
A local petstore had them. I don't care for that store, but I knew they bred mice for reptile people. I was surprised they had dwarf hammies. They weren't too much smaller than mouse pinks.

cornspot
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Glad you got to them to eat!

They are bigger than mice, but I have had good luck with gerbil pinks for picky eaters. Gerbils are cute, handleable, pretty easy to raise & don't smell bad.

dionythicus
08-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I hate gerbils, too. Never met a nice one. :nope: I'll stick to mice. LOL

Rdoyle
08-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I had gerbils as pets and they where not mean. but they will get out there cage.

cornspot
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Hmm...my gerbils never tried to bite. The hamsters I kept as a kid did & the gerbil (my very first pet) chewed out of her cage more than once.

I don't breed any rodents right now, but I did enjoy the gerbils

dionythicus
08-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I've always been a fan of rats as pets. I've been savaged by hamsters and gerbils as a child and wil always recommend to people that they get a rat as a pet.

gluttony32
08-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I kept a sumatran blood A few years back that would only take russian dwarf hamsters, I had to scent mice and rats as she got bigger but would never take them with out scenting even thought i tried like all hell to get her to accept with out scenting.

wasuslitherin
08-24-2010, 01:40 AM
I have around 11 non feeders. I ahve tried everything except live, would it be easier to breed a pair of mice one time for the pinks? Then sell the pair or maybe keep it till next year for more non feeders?
Also, how well does anole scenting work?