• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Double Fuzzies?

Sinsational

I have a corn snake that is a year old now. He is 40 grams. I have been feeding him 1 x 4 gram fuzzie 1 x per week. Is this enough? Should I move him up to a fuzzie and a half a week? He seems to be growing pretty quickly. The fuzzies I have are 4 grams or 5 grams each. I am almost done the 4 gram bag.

Thanks!

I tend to go by the lump that it leaves in the snake, rather then the weight of the fuzzy. If one fuzzy no longer leaves a lump in the snake 24 hours after feeding, then I'd try two at a time.

You think he's growing fast now? Wait til he's big enough for small mice - they sprout like weeds!

I just put my one year old on weanlings. I was not seeing a lump with one hopper, tried a hopper with a pink, no lump so I offered her a weanling and man, I can see the lump, but not like when she was little and taking pinks. She isn't fat either. Looks like a loaf of bread like everyone says a healthy one should. I'm hoping she'll grow nicely, if I see her getting pudgy at all I will stretch her to 10 days instead of 7 days for her feeding.

I would double up, according to the Munson plan he should be eating 7-9g fuzzies for a snake weighing 30-50g. Do it all the time. My 13 mth old Okee is at 163 grams and feeding on double hoppers (20 grams total) ) until the bag is done. He gets fed once a week.

I see a lump (well an enlarged snake) for a couple days. I honestly thought I was feeding him an adequate amount until I looked at the munson plan. He was a problem feeder when I first got him at approx 6 months old.

I think you should feed two. Those aren't fuzzies, those are pinks!! And, I'd feed every five days. A 40 gram yearling is pretty small. AND I'd slit them.

Ok thanks Nanci. I will try upping him. I have been slitting. I will bump him up to 1.5 for a few feeds after he sheds. I can take a pic, but as far as I can tell he doesn't look unhealthy.

Trust me at 40 grams he can handle 2 whole pinks. But if you feel better doing a couple at 1.5 and are ok chopping a pink in half by all means go a head :)

They have hair! I bought them as fuzzies... Maybe they're small fuzzies? I was feeding 2-3 gram pinkies for the first while, then 1.5 then 2, then 2.5 just to finish the bag. I moved onto fuzzies a month or two ago now. I didn't realize they were small! Guess I'll feed 1.5 for now.

Is it thick you can see what color it is or are they just kinda furry? If they are just kinda furry these are actually peach fuzzies and are the stage between pinks and fuzzies. I'll take pics of mine for you. My pinks weigh about 2 grams and peachies weigh 4-5 grams with fuzzies weighing 6-9 grams.

Ok here is the photo, I just took it and it shows left to right: a pinky, a peachy and a fuzzy. I have not had a 4 gram fuzzy before, not even from my own mice.

Attachments

• DSCF3591.JPG
    DSCF3591.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 52
Ok guys, here are some pictures of my mice and my snake. Please let me know if he looks healthy or not.

Attachments

• Snakey2.jpg
    Snakey2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 48
  • mice.jpg
    mice.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Snakey1.jpg
    Snakey1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 48
Wow, ok those, look like hamsters to me, they have next to no tail. Having bred dwarf hammies for feeders before I know they get fur quicker than mice for some reason. Not bad to feed, but their sizes are different than mice. I would offer one of those and a pink not two of those for the size of your snake. And are you absolutely sure he is a year old? Looks more around 6-8 months. Honestly both of my yearlings are larger than that and I don't power feed. I feed once a week even when they are little.

Yeah those do look like hamster babies. I would say one and a half of those would be enough for your snake.

Try weighing your snake once a week or every two weeks and see if he is gaining any weight. Then you will see if you need to feed more or less.

The Munson plan is a good guide. But remember it isn't set in stone and different snakes will need different things.

Thanks everyone for the replies. They are mice. The tails are about an inch long. I bought them from a reputable breeder. He is growing. Every week he gets bigger! 6 months ago he was 13 grams. He regurged once. I just wanted to know if he looks healthy.

Oh yes he looks nice, must have very high metabolism to be so small at a year old though. How quickly does his lump go away? If less than 24 hrs I would increase the feed weight by combining sizes he can handle to get the weight you think he should be getting. I love his borders :)

Thanks, I love them too! I'm wondering if he qualifies for oketee or not. The lump takes a couple days as far as I can tell. I have upped him to 1.5 fuzzies every 5 days now. He just shed and is looking beautiful! He is probably quite small for his age, but in my opinion he has grown quite a lot in the 6 months I've had him. Glad to hear he looks healthy.

It's strange how much individuals vary. My yearling was 118 grams the last time I weighed her which was a week ago and she isn't a bit fat. She is very long though. She was over 2ft long last time I checked (been a couple months). She looks closer to 3ft now. But I also know of a few yearlings that are small like yours. Guess just like people some are smaller than others.

Back