PDA

View Full Version : feeding

feeding

wntk24
08-22-2010, 06:45 PM
i have my corn snake now for three days and i tried to feed him and he just likes to hide all day is there anything i can do to have him eat he never comes out

Lennycorn
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm guessing it a hatchling but either way you should let the snake settle in for say a week or so before attempting to feed it.
You're stressing the snake so just let him be for awhile and give it fresh water every three day .

wntk24
08-22-2010, 06:54 PM
its seven weeks old and they said it ate a week ago when i got it and he stays under his water bowl all the time

Lennycorn
08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
i have my corn snake now for three days and i tried to feed him and he just likes to hide all day is there anything i can do to have him eat he never comes out

I'm reading that you had this snake for three days, if that the case then you should not try to feed it for a week after you pick it up.

Believe me when I say it's easier to feed a hungry snake than a stress out on.

Your snake ate a week ago..it won't die from starvation. Just relax, all is fine
it will eat soon enough.

tspuckler
08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Corn snakes spend the vast majority of their time hiding - especially baby corn snakes.

Quick thoughts:

1) Do not disturb/handle the snake until it is on a regular feeding schedule (has eaten 5 or 6 times).

2) House baby snakes in small containers - like the size of a shoebox or smaller.

3) Do not subject snake to bright lights.

4) Make sure the snake has hide areas.

5) Feed the baby corn in the evening - do not watch it eat. Put the food into the cage and leave it alone until the following morning.

6) Make sure your reptile is being maintained at the proper temperatures - with a temperature gradient.

7) Ask the breeder/store what the snake was eating. Some corns take frozen/thawed, while others like live food.

8) Your snake could be going through a shed cycle, if this is the case, it will be less likely to eat.