• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Why does he insist on eating feet first?

wholovessnakes

My Spike is about a year old and just getting ready to move from fuzzies to small hoppers. The only thing is, I worry about moving him up because he seems to take soooooo long to swallow his fuzzy, which he ALWAYS eats feet first. I've tried piercing the head, slit-wise, and aiming him toward the head yet he always goes right to the feet.

His lump is not very noticeable at all so I do think he's ready for a smaller hopper but I'm wondering if it matters that he always eats feet first.

Thank you all for your advice and information!

It doesn't matter. My snakes do it sometimes too. But I notice one thing is that if the prey has a long tail once they get that in their mouth they usually spit it out and try the other end. If it really bothers you that your snake eats butt first you could use feeding tongs and then the snake has no choice but to grab the head.

It really doesn't matter which direction he eats it in. The snake should be fine. I guess that you are going to have to get used to the fact that you have a butt muncher. :sidestep:

Wayne

The way a snake tells which end i which is by poking around on the mouse and finding the hard skull and the direction of hair growth. So once he's on hoppers, he should have an easier time figuring out which end is which. Still- it doesn't matter so much. Enough that they instinctively know how to find the head, not enough that they sometimes don't care.

one of my snakes also eats nearly always feet first....i dont know why but i think it is no reason to be concerned....

It seems that some snakes prefer eating feet first. I've seen a few snakes over the years that had a regular habit of doing this. I wouldn't worry about it.

eating.jpg

Back