• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

retained eye cap help

talc22

I have my first retained eye cap to deal with and could be doing with a bit of help. I have just watched a video youtube of someone removing their snakes eye cap using a q tip, but i am not sure how i should hold my snake to stop her moving and not hurt her and is there a high chance of getting bit when doing this, thanks for your help.

And this is a thread about how I treated a snake for retained spectacle under veterinary care. I imagined the vet would try to remove it, but apparently the safer course was to keep it VERY moist, prevent infection and hope for a rapid next shed.

Even if you try to remove it yourself, I'd still do a whole lot of soaking, etc. first. I am pretty sure next time I would follow the same procedure- that worked well without endangering the eye.

i think i will give it a try myself and be really gentle as i dont want to do any damage to her eye, what do you think would be the best way to soak it.

The easiest way to remove retained spectacles and any other remains from a bad shed it to let the snake do the job itself. Just get a pillowcase wet, place the snake inside and secure the end. Let it slither around in there for an hour or so, and your snake should work off the retained cap on its own.

The easiest way to remove retained spectacles and any other remains from a bad shed it to let the snake do the job itself. Just get a pillowcase wet, place the snake inside and secure the end. Let it slither around in there for an hour or so, and your snake should work off the retained cap on its own.

that would be worth a try, have you had any success in removing eye caps this way

One of the guys at our local pet store that is fairly herp knowledgable helped me when my King had retained both specs.

Used the wet pillowcase (not sopping wet, but good and damp don't want to drown it), put the snake in the pillowcase and an elastic (loosely, not super tight, the idea is to hold the opening snug, not tight, you WANT the snake to be able to get out) around the end Put the whole shebang in her viv and left her for a few hours. She explored around and wriggled her way out the elastic at the end and in the process rubbed off the retained shed.

WOrked for me!

One of the guys at our local pet store that is fairly herp knowledgable helped me when my King had retained both specs.

Used the wet pillowcase (not sopping wet, but good and damp don't want to drown it), put the snake in the pillowcase and an elastic (loosely, not super tight, the idea is to hold the opening snug, not tight, you WANT the snake to be able to get out) around the end Put the whole shebang in her viv and left her for a few hours. She explored around and wriggled her way out the elastic at the end and in the process rubbed off the retained shed.

WOrked for me!

thats sounds like a great idea, i will give it a try and let you's know how i get on. thanks.

that would be worth a try, have you had any success in removing eye caps this way

It's worked for me every time. I also like that it is less invasive for snake and easier for the owner than trying to manually remove them.

ok on my first atempt she was out of the pillow case in a few mins so i put her back in the case and put her back in her tank. she has been in the pillow case for over an hour now and isnt try to get out infact she is not moving around at all. should i just take her back out?

Another thing you could try, which is what i do now every time my snakes go into blue. Ive made a shed box. I took a large tupperware bin and filled it with crumpled moist paper towels or sphagnum moss. The moss being contained and kinda course gives the snakes something to rub on and, sense using the shed box (which i can take out clean easily or use on the other snakes when needed) ive yet to have another retained eyecap or nostril scale :p

Good luck! its always worrying

i let her back out the pillow case but her eye cap is still on although it has became loose around the edges, i will let her move around her viv for a little while and see if it comes off.

i let her back out the pillow case but her eye cap is still on although it has became loose around the edges, i will let her move around her viv for a little while and see if it comes off.

if you can see it's loose around the edges, you can probably gently wipe over it with a wet wash cloth and remove it while it's still moist and loose.

thats it off now, thanks for all your help hopefully it wont happen again but if it does i know what to do now, thanks.

Damp Q-tip. I deal with these once in a while, for whatever reason. I usually wet the cap with a bit of water, several times a day and let the snake try to work it off by it self. If after 3 or so days, it doesn't come off, I grab a Q-tip and wet it. I usually gently rub it over the eye a time or two and the cap comes right off.

Wetting it for a day or two prior usually loosens it right up and they slide right off. The key word is gentle!

That's the way I do it.

Wayne

Back