PDA

View Full Version : I bought a non feeder... what's the likeliness that she'll eat?

I bought a non feeder... what's the likeliness that she'll eat?

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm getting a little paranoid at the moment . I bought my first corn snake as a nonfeeder at a reptile show. My friend (Sacred Nightmare) is basically getting me started in trying to feed her. We tried cleaning the pinkie and tried scenting it with a anole but no luck thus far. Oh and we cut open the heads and that didn't work either. I was wondering what's the likeliness of my girl Misty making it? And what do you think I should try so my little girl can make it?:confused:
Help!

Bartholomew
08-31-2010, 07:24 PM
How long ago was it that you bought the snake?
What are the tempuratures in the cage?

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
I got her this saturday and she's about two weeks old (that's what the breeder told me) . And the temperature of her container is mid 70's. My friends and I got a couple more Nonfeeders and she's the chubbiest of the bunch... I don't know if that helps :/

Lennycorn
08-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Try washing the pink in Ivory soap. (No kidding) rince well.
Tuna and or chicken juice works too.

do a search on the subject too.

Shiari
08-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Try to space out the feedings. I had several that didn't eat until around 4 weeks old. I offered them a meal once a week. If you offer to often, they can develop an aversion.

Things to try:

Making the pinky super hot.
Leaving the snake with the pinky over night.
Using a live pinky.
Washing the pinky with Dove Soap.
Scenting with Kentucky Fried Chicken grease, with tuna, with chicken fat/skin.
Cutting the pinky into pieces.

You can also try catching some baby brown anoles and offering those.

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Sacred Nightmare and I are going to try again this saturday with her. We'll definitely try those now. I did some research and hopefully those methods will work. I hope I don't have to resort to force feeding her. Did you ever have any non feeders of your own?

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Hmmm more things to try ... Thank you Shiari!! :)

Shiari
08-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Did you give her a settling in period? If you've tried three meals on her since just Saturday, she's also probably *extremely* stressed right now.

What are the temps like in your viv? substrate? hides?

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I've only tried feeding her today but my friend and myself tried 3 different methods. And I'm new to the corn snake world so I don't know what viv, substrate, or hides mean. Lol sorry >.<

Nanci
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM
She needs a spot that is 82-85F too, or she'll be too cold to eat. And I'd feed her in a small container, at night, in a dark room, and cover up the container, and not bother her for an hour.

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Thank you Nanci I think that's what my friend and I are going to try this weekend.

Shiari
08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Viv is short for vivarium, the space where your snake is living. Substrate is what you have in the viv, be it aspen, paper towels, carefresh, etc. Hides are just that, places for the snake to hide.

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Ah I understand now :) Thank you. Looking at all this information now I can understand why my snake and the other babies didn't want to eat today.

Sacred_Nightmares
08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
I hope that we do get some of these babies to eat.

We did use dove soap today. For two snakes, we tried the soap and for the other two, we scented with anoles. Then after 15 mins of no luck with that, cut all the heads off and just offered them those. This weekend we'll give it another shot.

In the end, I'm glad my hypo blood liked his snack and the pinkies weren't wasted. Heh. :P

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 08:05 PM
I hope that we do get some of these babies to eat.

We did use dove soap today. For two snakes, we tried the soap and for the other two, we scented with anoles. Then after 15 mins of no luck with that, cut all the heads off and just offered them those. This weekend we'll give it another shot.

In the end, I'm glad my hypo blood liked his snack and the pinkies weren't wasted. Heh. :P
True and maybe next time we should wait a little longer than fifteen minutes. Maybe set them up and watch some T.V. and then check on them in a hour.

SquamishSerpents
08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
with non-feeders, you must be VERY patient. personally, i don't try more than 1 "method" of enticing them to eat per feeding. i wouldn't offer a slit pink, wait 15 minutes, take it away, wash it with soap, wait another 15 minutes, scent it with tuna, etc. i would try either the slit pink, the soap, or the tuna. not all 3 on the same feeding attempt. corns are very resilient and can go a LOT longer than you think without eating.

for example, this year we had 1 hatchling who ate once after it's first shed, and since then had not eaten a thing. refused everytime, even when the pinky was left in overnight. i had also tried slitting the pinks as well, but there was always a cold, gross pinky in the container in the morning. last week, after TWELVE WEEKS of refusals, i decided to wash a f/t pink with soap (rinse very well, obviously). lo and behold, the snake ate! this week, i offered a regular pink, not washed, and it also ate for a 2nd time.

i think the key is not offering food too often. if i get a refusal, i wait 7 days before trying again. also, when offering, sometimes it CAN take them hours and hours for them to decide to eat it. i would leave them with the pink overnight, rather than waiting just a few minutes.

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Katia :) I will definitely try and be patient with misty. I really want her to make it so I'll really take your advice to heart .

montanatburg
08-31-2010, 10:51 PM
I am having the same problem with my baby albino "Buddy", I got him this past saturday. Tried feeding him on monday, left the pinky overnight, tonight still no feeding. Think I'll take it away, and wait a few more days maybe one week.

KillerCami
08-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I'm hopeful for our little babies <3

SquamishSerpents
09-01-2010, 02:24 AM
I am having the same problem with my baby albino "Buddy", I got him this past saturday. Tried feeding him on monday, left the pinky overnight, tonight still no feeding. Think I'll take it away, and wait a few more days maybe one week.

i always like to wait at LEAST 5 days, but preferably a week before trying to feed. wait 7 days since your last attempt, and then try feeding. it sometimes takes the little snakies awhile to settle into their new world. new sights, sounds, smells, vibrations, etc.

bitsy
09-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I think Nanci's right. That 70 degree temperature really is key. You need it low-mid 80s on the floor at the warm end, otherwise even if the snake does eventually eat, there's a risk that it won't be able to digest the food. A regurgitation is the last thing you need when you finally (we hope) get the little critter to chow down.

Also if the temps are too low, then their appetite can be supressed which could well be contributing to them not eating (although I assume the original breeder was keeping them at the correct temp, so that's probably not the original cause).

KillerCami
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Too true. Thank you . You guys are so helpful :D

montanatburg
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
that is what I am going to do. thanks:-punch: