PDA

View Full Version : Unusual head movement.

Unusual head movement.

arrowhd
09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
My Hypo '09 corn snake is displaying some rather unusual behavior. She swings her head back and forth just before she starts moving and sometimes while she is actively moving. It is mainly a side to side movement. At first it was quite subtle and I did not think much of it. As she has aged and increased in size it has become much more apparent. This is a consistent behavior everytime I handle her. No other symptoms that I have noticed. She has not been submitted to any extreme changes in temperature or physical trauma while in my care. Wondering if this is some type of neurological issue? None of my other corn snakes or king snakes have ever displayed this type of behavior. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keith

tirevy
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I wonder if this is what they call 'Stargazing'? From what I hear, it's seen in corn snakes. The snake isn't in pain, but it's just a neurological problem. If I'm not mistaken.

Lovin2act
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
This sounds different to me actually. Stargazing is more where the snake cant really tell up from down anymore and it has no proper sense of gravity. This seems more blatant so I kinda think its something else. I wonder if it's some type of hunting behavior...I have seen some snakes do that but it's not often though.

arrowhd
09-01-2010, 09:36 PM
I wonder if this is what they call 'Stargazing'?
I'm pretty sure what I'm seeing is not related to what is commonly referred to as stargazing.

I wonder if it's some type of hunting behavior.
I know what you are referring to. However, this girl does this every time I have her out handling her. Seems to be more noticeable as she is growing. Could be what is happening but it sure is strange.

Bartholomew
09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Is this only when you handle your snakes?
Does the snake look like its shaking its head, saying "no"?

arrowhd
09-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Is this only when you handle your snakes?

No, I have noticed this behavior while she is in her enclosure also. Only seeing this behavior in this one particular snake.

Does the snake look like its shaking its head, saying "no"?

Best I can describe is she is moving her head back and forth side ways. Almost wobbling back and forth side to side. Difficult to describe.

Susan
09-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Google the couple of TouTube videos on stargazer corn snakes and see if what you see your snake do is what is shown on the videos, just to make sure.

Sacred_Nightmares
09-02-2010, 11:24 AM
My blizzard corn does this also. Mostly only when I take him outside, though. The snake is literally just moving his head horizontally, left, and right. It's a quick motion. Almost like waving your finger left and right in a "uh uh" or "no" matter at someone, only, imagine your fingernail as the snakes head.

It doesn't seem to bother him though. He's a champion eater, drinks regularly, temps are all right, has lots of hides, sheds great, and he's happy as can be.

It's really bizarre and I've never had a clear answer as to why he does this also. Someone once mentioned that it MAY be because it's breeding season and he does it to pick up scents? But I don't really think that's the cause. I'll see if I have a video of this behavior anywhere. I would like a clear explanation for this also.

Sacred_Nightmares
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes, I do have a video. I hope this like works for you all.

It's just a very subtle head motion that you'll notice once or twice in the short video.

Arrowhd, is this what your snake is doing??

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/emeralddragon839/Snakes/th_04142009_14.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/emeralddragon839/Snakes/?action=view&current=04142009_14.flv)

vetusvates
09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Not stargazing.
I have seen keeled green snakes do that in the wild. And other (arboreal) species on TV.
Snakes have characteristically poor vision, and I believe this assists in a close approximation to binocular vision. Simply stated, IMHO, it is a habit/adaptation/behaviour that allows the snake to more accurately 'see' what is before it's nose.

NOTE : I once knew a girl with crossed eyes, who shook her head "no", back and forth, while reading...to attempt to focus on and recognize the words...before her nose. Seriously.

arrowhd
09-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Actually that video is pretty close. My snake's head movement is more exaggerated though.

Snakes have characteristically poor vision, and I believe this assists in a close approximation to binocular vision. Simply stated, IMHO, it is a habit/adaptation/behaviour that allows the snake to more accurately 'see' what is before it's nose.

I contacted the breeder and this is pretty much what they explained to me. However, why have I never seen this behavior after keeping snakes over 14 years until just recently? Why would some snakes do this yet others do not? Maybe she is just really near sighted? lol

Sacred_Nightmares
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
The vision theory would be a reasonable explanation. They just want to see where they're going! It still just seems very strange to me.

vetusvates
09-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I looked for video, but could only find Ahaetulla nasuta doing it, and for the 'stated' purpose of imitating a a vine.