PDA

View Full Version : I think he's dead

I think he's dead

mjdglobal
09-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I just got back fron the vet. I had fecal screens done on my snakes Monday and they came back positive for pinworms. Today I took them all in to have weighed for meds. They were weighed and treated with Panacure, and I am to give them another dose in 2 weeks. I get home and one of my snakes was looking terrible, not moving with his mouth agape. I put his head in the water dish and he couldn't pull his head out, so I laid his head back down in his tub. I've been watching him just lay there and now I think he's dead. If he's breathing it's so shallow I can't visually see it. I'm about to go check on him again. Anyone have any ideas? Could he possibly be allergic to Panacure. I don't think he was overdosed, all the other snakes look fine. The vets office is closed. Going to check on him again. This is very bad.

mjdglobal
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Well, I don't even know what to say. My snake was in great shape earlier today and now he's dead. I just checked on him again. I held him and couldn't detect any breathing or a heartbeat. I feel like puking right now, literally sick to my stomach. I took in six fecal samples and five of the snakes had pinworms. I don't know which five by the way. It will be a real kick in the nads if it turns out this snake was the one that was negative.

Bartholomew
09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh my gosh. I'm really sorry for your loss. I really dont know what to tell you. Just stay strong. I'm wishing you the best of luck.

mjdglobal
09-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm bummed big-time. Now I've got to break the news to my niece. This was her favorite snake and she named him. This poor girl has already had to deal with a couple of family losses this year (my sister-in-laws family, not mine). I wouldn't even tell her, but she'll be wanting to hold the snake the next time she's over. I'm a big boy, I'll be fine, but it sure does break my heart to have to tell her. I just wish I knew what the hell went wrong.

bitsy
09-03-2010, 03:50 AM
You should let the vet know as a precuation, so they can double-check their dosing strategy. I'm so sorry that this happened.