PDA

View Full Version : Any value in buying a non-feeder?

Any value in buying a non-feeder?

greenman
09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone!

Well the Canadian Reptile breeders expo is coming up for us in the GTA. I have planned to buy a thermstate/flexwatt and a HEALTHY Amel Stripe girl. I have a new snake rack in the works and have a few open spaces. If there is a table of Non-feeders with something nice, is it worth it to buy one? I realize its a nussance to the breeders but If there is a nice bloodred or lavender for a few bucks... Opinions? What percentage of non-feeders eventually feed.

Thanks CSF!

sinisterserpents1
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
We have had great luck with non feeders in the past. We picked up some golddust motleys for $15 for the pair and they ate quickly. We bought a crap load off of Jeff Mohr and they all ate but a few (can't wait to experiment with them!) I say go for it. We try live, then brained, then lizared scented. Usually one of the 3 work.

greenman
09-04-2010, 05:49 AM
i might do it then! anyone else with similar success?

bitsy
09-04-2010, 06:10 AM
If you're going to buy just one snake, then I'd go for a feeder and avoid the potential disappointment for the sake of a few bucks. You might find yourself spending the balance looking after it anyway, and then end up with nothing to show for it if it passes.

However, buying a bunch of them seems like it could be worth a go. It's unlikely that all of them will persist in refusing food.

CaptBogart
09-04-2010, 08:52 AM
I've bought a few problem feeders, but they were Kings, which seem to have some kind of switch where they'll just start eating voraciously as if they had been eating the whole time. A few years ago I picked up a nonfeeder at a show that ate a couple days after I brought her home. I bred her this year and I'm waiting to see how many eat as soon as they shed, which should be in a couple days. That's the only thing I worry about with problem/non feeders, is that it will be passed to the next generation. Then you went from one or a pair of nonfeeders for a good deal, to a whole clutch of them... which isn't such a deal...

ratsncorns
09-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I am not sure how well the genetic thing works in feeder/nonfeeder. Last year I bred my ghost and normal motley pair and every one of the 12 babies ate right after their first shed (parents are great eaters as well). This year, only about half of their babies ate and I still have about 6 that are not eating. Same pair, different year. Because of that, I am not completely convinced its something that is passed on to offspring. I am curious about your clutch though, Joe!