PDA

View Full Version : Premature shedding?

Premature shedding?

MemoryOfAnIdea
09-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey, my little Calcifer (2 months) I am a little worried about.

One of her hides is a log that has some sap coming from it. I didn't really think much of it because she hides under it and the sappy part is on top. But I think she might of gotten some sap on her and it looks like it tore part of a shed off.

--Why I'm concerned.

She doesn't really look ready to shed like her eyes aren't milky at all.

Is this actually a problem? should I remove the hide and get her a new hide?

I don't think shes injured, when I touch the area it doesn't seem to pain her and there's no sign of bleeding...

What should I do/should I just let her be and stop bugging her? :P

Susan
09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I would remove the hide and replace it. Be careful using things you get from outside as they are difficult to sterilize and clean. You need to heat them in the oven to a specific temperature to kill organisms/disease from outside. You might do better using a store-bought hide or something disposable/replaceable, such as a toilet paper roll.

Just keep an eye on Calcifer and her skin should go back to normal after she sheds once, maybe twice.

MemoryOfAnIdea
09-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I actually did buy it from a store so i thought it'd be fine :( Shows me to inspect things better...

Thanks for the comfort though. :)

Dorgrim
09-09-2010, 11:38 PM
maybe sanding it down or widdling out what sap you can see with a hair dryer?

poor baby!

He might have also just scratched himself up. I know Pablo rubs all which a way in his viv and gets some rough looking scale peel ups some times ):

again, dawww ;-; poor thing lol
Im sure it shouldnt effect him in the long run though, just might give him a funny looking scale for a while :3

MemoryOfAnIdea
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks ^^ I think she shed recently but I can't find it... She was blue-eyed but now shes not. I will DEFINITELY try getting rid of the sappy part! Yay woodshop :)

MemoryOfAnIdea
09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I lied! She actually hadn't shed yet, if she did at all it was just her face. I just checked on her for the first time today and shes had her second shed now and is looking beautiful and bright and her scales are fine looking.

Nanci
09-10-2010, 09:00 AM
After the snake goes blue, it clears. If you happen to see the snake in this time period, it appears to have shed, but hasn't yet. They typically come out and start moving around, and you think they are done and can't find the shed! Happens all the time.

MemoryOfAnIdea
09-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Oooh... That's interesting! I thought it seemed very strange when I couldn't find her shed but a friend told me that her snake used to eat its sheds so I thought nothing of it. Thanks for the info ^^