PDA

View Full Version : Adult Feeding Problem

Adult Feeding Problem

sumitup
09-08-2010, 03:01 AM
Guys, i got 11 adult corn snakes not eating since arrival. they are here with me for about a month now.

tried live/frozen. tried down sizing the feeders. but nothing happen. going to try cutting the feeder up into half.

any good solution for this? :shrugs::shrugs:

Thank you.

bitsy
09-08-2010, 03:39 AM
If they were imported then they might be having trouble acclimitising. Adults can be sometimes be less adaptable than hatchlings. I think I'd look at environmental stuff to start with:

What are the temperatures like in their tanks?
What sort of hides/ground cover do they have?
Are you using artificial lights with them?
What heat source are you using (if you need one)?

ShenziSixaxis
09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Are you feeding mice or rats? What was the previous owner feeding?

sumitup
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
If they were imported then they might be having trouble acclimitising. Adults can be sometimes be less adaptable than hatchlings. I think I'd look at environmental stuff to start with:

What are the temperatures like in their tanks?
What sort of hides/ground cover do they have?
Are you using artificial lights with them?
What heat source are you using (if you need one)?

The tub temps around them are around 24 (nite) - 29 (day) Degree
No hides provided as of now. Preparing shoe box for them.
Only the normal light bulb on during the morning and sun light shine into the room in the morning for 1hour.

Are you feeding mice or rats? What was the previous owner feeding?

all the previous owners are feeding them on mice. i have double check with them. and email them the situation.

i myself tried adult mice and fuzzy rat.

bitsy
09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
The thing that leaps out at me is the lack of hides. Corns are naturally very secretive and need to be able to stay out of sight. They are probably on alert for predators all the time at the moment, which will be putting them off eating. Get as many hides in with them as you can and see if that helps.

medusacoils
09-08-2010, 01:31 PM
11 snakes not eating? Check your set ups. A month should have been a good enough time to acclimate.

I would contact the breeder or the person you bought them from and ask what their previous set ups were like, then try your best to match it.

Also find out what they were eating, how that person fed, etc.

Don't panic because you have lots of time. I had a male go 7 months on a hunger strike. When he finally came out of it, his appetite was perfect.

Wayne

VickyChaiTea
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Hm. Odd. Do you have a thermometer set up or are you just guessing the temps?

I'd definitely give them hides, separate them if they aren't already. Did you dangle the food in front of them? Kinda make it look like it's moving? You could try scenting it with tuna juice or chicken broth. Could also try dangling it in front of the entrance to a hide while the snake is in it.

sumitup
09-08-2010, 11:15 PM
The thing that leaps out at me is the lack of hides. Corns are naturally very secretive and need to be able to stay out of sight. They are probably on alert for predators all the time at the moment, which will be putting them off eating. Get as many hides in with them as you can and see if that helps.

well noted. i will be adding hides into their enclosure this few days.

11 snakes not eating? Check your set ups. A month should have been a good enough time to acclimate.

I would contact the breeder or the person you bought them from and ask what their previous set ups were like, then try your best to match it.

Also find out what they were eating, how that person fed, etc.

Don't panic because you have lots of time. I had a male go 7 months on a hunger strike. When he finally came out of it, his appetite was perfect.

Wayne

Hi Wayne, i imported 72 adults. Only this 11 is not doing well. Others are eating like a pig. So i think the enclosure should be doing pretty well here.

Yes i have contacted them. They are giving me all sorts of reasons, shedding, acclimating and fasting. Will try to figure out whats the reason they dont feed here.

7months is very long, i am so worried of their health that i have weighting them. so that i can monitor their weight. 7months is a very long wait.

Thanks

Valjean
Hm. Odd. Do you have a thermometer set up or are you just guessing the temps?

I'd definitely give them hides, separate them if they aren't already. Did you dangle the food in front of them? Kinda make it look like it's moving? You could try scenting it with tuna juice or chicken broth. Could also try dangling it in front of the entrance to a hide while the snake is in it.

Yes i have thermometer setup in the snake room. Been in there morning 10am,afternoon 2pm, night 11pm. The temp reading given base on average of 3 days. i tried feeding them morning, afternoon and nite. they still dont take the mice after period of 3 trial over 10days period.

nope, i have not tried scenting, since you suggest i will try them. nope, i have not tried dangling, as i feed live hopper, they seems not to be interested with them. hoping around. after 1hour i just take the hopper for another eagerly waiting corns.

Thanks

MotleyCrue
09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Wayne, i imported 72 adults. Only this 11 is not doing well. Others are eating like a pig. So i think the enclosure should be doing pretty well here.

That's a lot of snakes! Are all 72 in the same enclosure?

mike17l
09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Have you left frozen thawed mice in the tub overnight. Some animals like to eat alone and may do better if you just drop the mouse in and leave it.

Tracee
09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Hides don't need to be expensive, use toilet rolls, cereal boxes, anything you have lying around, and do it straight away. It seems almost too simple, but they could be refusing to eat because they are so stressed.

Would also agree with the above, to try frozen/thawed left overnight.

Good luck.

sumitup
09-10-2010, 09:34 AM
That's a lot of snakes! Are all 72 in the same enclosure?

of course not dude. they are all in their individual tubs. 3ft(L) x 1.5ft(W) x 1ft(H)

Have you left frozen thawed mice in the tub overnight. Some animals like to eat alone and may do better if you just drop the mouse in and leave it.

have not left the f/t mice overnight. as they might turn bad and the faulty smell is just bad. i will try to leave a hopper over nite. is it safe?

Hides don't need to be expensive, use toilet rolls, cereal boxes, anything you have lying around, and do it straight away. It seems almost too simple, but they could be refusing to eat because they are so stressed.

Would also agree with the above, to try frozen/thawed left overnight.

Good luck.

well noted Tracee. am getting the hides done with all the above. Can i leave a hopper over nite as compare to F/T mice? F/T mice will turn bad if they did not consume after few hours.

mike17l
09-10-2010, 09:44 AM
have not left the f/t mice overnight. as they might turn bad and the faulty smell is just bad. i will try to leave a hopper over nite. is it safe?

Yeah, there are no problems, just pull it out in the morning if it is still there. It wont start to smell for a few days.

bitsy
09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, there are no problems, just pull it out in the morning if it is still there. It wont start to smell for a few days
The OP's in Singapore though - maybe the problem is worse in that environment.

Can i leave a hopper over nite as compare to F/T mice? F/T mice will turn bad if they did not consume after few hours.
No, I wouldn't leave a live mouse - even a hopper - in with a Corn unsupervised for any length of time. Definitely not overnight. If the snake's completely disinterested and the mouse is freaked out, you could have an injured snake by morning.

Audrey87
09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Instead is hopper maybe use a pinky or fuzzy. definately either of them cannot bite or injure the snake.. Although small, mayb u will get an indication if it's eating at all. Yup, the temps where his from is bad. Leave anything out in the open too long and it'll start to stink a few hours later. It's hot!!!!

sumitup
09-27-2010, 10:15 AM
guys, thanks for the suggestion and advice. most of them have start feeding own their own. only 2 did not make it. RIP

bitsy
09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
That's fantastic news! Thanks for the update.

Tracee
09-29-2010, 05:02 AM
That is actually really great that only 2 did not make it.. Very glad to have helped.