PDA

View Full Version : New snake quarantine proceedures?

New snake quarantine proceedures?

sdmessmer
02-24-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm getting my daughter her second corn snake. I want to quarantine the new snake away from the first one.

How far away should this be? Other end of the room, a different room, other end of the house, a different house?

How long do you usually quarantine a new snake?

What do you look for that would tell you that it was OK to house the new snake next to the established snake?

We already know to handle, feed and clean the new snake after the established snake.

Thanks for looking.
Silvia

MegF.
02-24-2004, 10:39 PM
From what I've read here, and in the Cornsnake Manual, the new snake should at least be in another room, if not another building. Usually this isn't practical, so another room with a door that can close should suffice. Wash the hands thoroughly after handling each snake, and before handling one. Usually 3-6 months is the standard time from what I've read. I suppose you would just watch to make sure that there is no sign of respiratory problems, stool is normal, and it's eating well. Check for signs of mites also. If the snake remains healthy during quarantine, you can put the other snakes viv near the other one. If there's any misinformation, or something I missed, I'm sure one of the super experienced herps will say something.

carol
02-25-2004, 12:51 AM
You should quarantine for a minimum six months. It seems like some of the worst bugs out there ironically can have unusually long incubation periods. I would also get at least a fecal smear and/or float, and to be even more safe you could get two or three done. It all depends on how much risk you are personally comfortable with. Good Luck!

Skye
02-25-2004, 11:09 AM
I agree with the above.
I would not end quarantine unless fecal smear and float tests have all come up negative. These are simple, inexpensive procedures your vet can do for you. 6 months is idea, the shortest time I have used is 3 months and it depends whom I have purchased from.
In an ideal world you quarantine in another building. The next best set-up is same building but different air system. Next after that is just same building but different room. Always try to avoid the same room.
Finally, always see/feed/clean your new (quarantined) animals AFTER you have seen/cleaned/fed your existing animals to avoid disease transmission.
Use different equipment, wash separately, and always practise excellent hygiene.

Skye