PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Geode and Druzy

Worried about Geode and Druzy

starsevol
09-15-2010, 11:50 AM
They are the 2 miami babies I got at the dinner in Daytona. They ate fine for me the first 2 weeks I had them, ate right away. Well, last week both of them regurged. I waited the 8 days and gave them each a half a pinky coated with Nutribac, and neither one touched it. Maybe that is a good thing...gives their systems a little more time to heal. I'm a wreck!

crackerhead
09-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey Beth, could they possibly be in shed? I've had babies that are dumb enough to eat a big meal right before a shed only to realize afterwards what a bad idea it was and then regurge. They have done just fine and resume eating as normal once they shed. Those are the ones I have to watch closely and not feed before they go opaque.
Are they still active and drinking? Babies are tougher that we give them credit for sometimes, plus you are a good mom. I know waiting is hard though...
Terri

Sweetseraph
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Is there possibly something wrong with the mice? It's just strange that both would regurge at the same time, although being the same age (?), they could definitely be shedding at the same time too. I'm sure you've already checked any husbandry issues. Hang in there.

starsevol
09-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey Beth, could they possibly be in shed? I've had babies that are dumb enough to eat a big meal right before a shed only to realize afterwards what a bad idea it was and then regurge. They have done just fine and resume eating as normal once they shed. Those are the ones I have to watch closely and not feed before they go opaque.
Are they still active and drinking? Babies are tougher that we give them credit for sometimes, plus you are a good mom. I know waiting is hard though...
Terri

Hi Terri,
Druzy shed 3 weeks ago, that was when I discovered that she is a miami. Geode shed last week, so his issue might be shed related.
I can't tell if they are drinking, but they seem active.
Thank you for the reassurance :)

starsevol
09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Is there possibly something wrong with the mice? It's just strange that both would regurge at the same time, although being the same age (?), they could definitely be shedding at the same time too. I'm sure you've already checked any husbandry issues. Hang in there.

I think the mice are ok, I fed the other 2010s that day (I have 4 others I fed that day) and no one else had a problem, including my lavamel boy who is from the same breeder. I did check husbandry and put the temp up 2 degrees for them.

carol
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm also curious if they have shed since they've been with you. I usually wait at least 10 days after a regurge. If they shed recently, maybe it's the nutribac that is turning them off. :shrugs:

starsevol
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm also curious if they have shed since they've been with you. I usually wait at least 10 days after a regurge. If they shed recently, maybe it's the nutribac that is turning them off. :shrugs:

Yes, both have shed and shown me their gorgeous colors. They have not eaten in 8 days, I was thinking of waiting another 5 and try again when I feed everyone else. I just am not sure if I should nutribac the water or not, or if I should nutribac their pinky pieces next time. Geode checked out his meal, but then wandered off. Druzy decided that the small deli cup was not for her and she wanted outttttttttt.

Nanci
09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I just had a blue baby regurge...I wonder why that happens- but it does. I had no idea she was blue. She's getting her first meal tonight. (It's a lavender- not one of my own hatchlings). Carol- I've never had any snake ever refuse Nutribac, and I LOAD it on. I have to bathe the snakes when they are done eating.

Nanci
09-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Did you give them long enough to decide, Beth? If mine want out and that's all they can think about, I cover them.

You could always tube in Nutribac- that's what I do a couple times before the first meal. They get a nice concentrated dose. I guess the water is better than nothing, though.

carol
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I would give them more time and then just try a head. I've had them turn noses up to "peices" too. :shrugs: Maybe they just know that they need more time.

starsevol
09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you both!
I think the thing that scared me the most is that before they ate without hesitation, and I know Nanci's kids love their nutribac!!
I gave her about 20 minutes uncovered, then covered her for an hour, but then had to go to work and was not too keen on that half a pink rotting in the house all day..so I put her back.

Nanci
09-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Om nom nom!

Nanci
09-15-2010, 07:21 PM
The portion size seems small, although I love the seasoning!

starsevol
09-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Fantastic pic!!! I would feel so much better if my kids did that!!

Nanci
09-15-2010, 07:56 PM
They will Beth. They were good eaters. So they will eat.